X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benb89
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
    Which varieties? I'm always interested to find out what are people's favourites.

In the boot of the car they will have been roasted and chilled. Not really the best conditions for seeds but you never know, they might grow...
    I will definitely grow Cayenne, a few different varieties of habanero, and scotch bonnet. Im sure I will end up growing a few more varieties but I need to keep it simple as I will be moving house so do not want to have loads of plants to move.

I know, I put them all in my box of car tools, which luckily I haven't had to use, and completely forgot they were in there. Was certain I had put them in the cupboard but cant have.
    Last edited by benb89; 15-01-2020, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    Originally posted by benb89 View Post
    I am going to focus on only a couple of varieties this year, however I have just realised I left my seeds in the boot of the car since the summer. Not sure if they will be ok so I think I will order some more just in case.
    Which varieties? I'm always interested to find out what are people's favourites.

In the boot of the car they will have been roasted and chilled. Not really the best conditions for seeds but you never know, they might grow...

Leave a comment:

• benb89
    replied
    Overall was very pleased with what I grew last year, learnt a lot thanks to all on here. The experience has also taught me alot so hopefully I will not be making the same mistakes this year. Surprisingly some of the plants which I have left out in the corner of the garden, exposed to the elements, appear to be still alive I may well bring them inside to see what happens.

Getting ready to start sowing the seeds in the next week or so, setting everything up, making sure stuff still works and making plans. I am going to focus on only a couple of varieties this year, however I have just realised I left my seeds in the boot of the car since the summer. Not sure if they will be ok so I think I will order some more just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    I’ve only grown one chilli ( a lemon drop ) in the raised bed in my tunnel. It grow very well, I didn’t really notice much difference between that one and the potted one. The potted one did start ripening a little early but not much.

Leave a comment:

• SimpleSimon
    replied
    Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    I don’t grow any in the ground. All in pots & tubs. Never in anything less than 7lt, going up to 100lt.
    I’m happy to grow just one plant of any one variety. Especially a new variety to my grow list. One plant usually produces enough for me to work out if I like it and what it’s best used for. If it doesn’t then it’s not worth growing again because it’s not productive enough. That may seem harsh. But my chillies are treated like gods. I expect them to perform in turn
    wowzers that's some compost bill that! I do about 50/50 split between a bed in the tunnel and pots. Can't decide which is best and the bed in the tunnel is looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment. Needs a bit of work before summer. It's hard to know how to prep a soil bed for chillis. Everywhere warns against too much manure and I don't have enough compost.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Do you grow them all in the ground? I'm trying to keep mine down but can't get the numbers below 50. I hate growing a single plant of any new type incase I really like it and I got some interesting ones in the seed circle. Decisions decisions.
    I don’t grow any in the ground. All in pots & tubs. Never in anything less than 7lt, going up to 100lt.
    I’m happy to grow just one plant of any one variety. Especially a new variety to my grow list. One plant usually produces enough for me to work out if I like it and what it’s best used for. If it doesn’t then it’s not worth growing again because it’s not productive enough. That may seem harsh. But my chillies are treated like gods. I expect them to perform in turn

Leave a comment:

• SimpleSimon
    replied
    If it makes you feel any better. I’ve just worked out I’ll be growing 60 (ish) plants.
    Do you grow them all in the ground? I'm trying to keep mine down but can't get the numbers below 50. I hate growing a single plant of any new type incase I really like it and I got some interesting ones in the seed circle. Decisions decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    How are you coping with that? I'm trying to keep my list right down this year but things keep trying to creep in to it. Mind you, my germination failures are helping.
    It’s simple, I will be starting to build our new house this year, so that is curbing my enthusiasm. Also there are 5 or 6 varieties that I’m growing a lot of.

And it’s only 27 varieties...........so far
    If it makes you feel any better. I’ve just worked out I’ll be growing 60 (ish) plants.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    How are you coping with that? I'm trying to keep my list right down this year but things keep trying to creep in to it. Mind you, my germination failures are helping.
    It’s simple, I will be starting to build our new house this year, so that is curbing my enthusiasm. Also there are 5 or 6 varieties that I’m growing a lot of.

And it’s only 27 varieties...........so far
    Last edited by Small pumpkin; 13-01-2020, 05:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    No thanks VC. Afraid I’m being very picky with varieties this year. Only 27!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    OK, I'll let you off this year!!

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Thanks Sp. Would you like to grow it?
    No thanks VC. Afraid I’m being very picky with varieties this year. Only 27!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Thanks Sp. Would you like to grow it?

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    A packet of Zimbabwe Black chilli seeds has just arrived in a pot luck selection of seeds.
    It looks decorative but is it hot!!!
    Has anyone grown it?
    https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...ack_156210.htm
    Not actually grown that one VC. A few similar. I’d say it’s going to be to hot for your tolerance levels.
    But it’ll look very pretty

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    A packet of Zimbabwe Black chilli seeds has just arrived in a pot luck selection of seeds.
    It looks decorative but is it hot!!!
    Has anyone grown it?
    https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...ack_156210.htm

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X