Dill questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dill questions

Our herb garden is thriving with all the usual suspects (parsley, thyme, lemon thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram and chives) so it's time to diversify a little.

I found a nice little dill plant at the weekend and wondered what conditions they like best. Last years effort died off at the first sight of cold weather so I wondered.....can dill be grown in a container and moved inside in autumn to prolong its life? Can it be over wintered even? What conditions are best for it to thrive?

Morereasons sell it potted in soil as a fresh living herb so I guess it will be fine in a larger container.
    Why not try some herb fennel set direct in the soil adds a good height aspect to a herb garden,is totally hardy & every part of the plant can be eaten,frond,flowers,seeds,stalks even the root
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I've never had any luck with dill, but this year I am determined. It's tap-rooted so doesn't seem to transplant well, but I've started some seeds in tiny pots inside anyway. Also sown some direct in the garden. In my experience every wee beastie going looooooves tender baby dill.

It's an annual so probably won't overwinter even indoors.

How about sage and bay? And where's the basil?! Can't do without basil! Or lavender!!! I'm also growing lovage, summer and winter savory, pineapple sage, lemon balm, lemon verbena, mint, chocolate peppermint, lemon basil, purple basil, bronze fennel...
      March is the new winter.

Comment

eirish - forgot to mention our bay and sage! also got some basil seedlings on the go.

actually, before planting it i might try and take a few cuttings to increase my chances of success!

Comment

Don't think it'll grow from cuttings. Buy a packet of seeds instead.
          March is the new winter.

Comment

I've been growing it for 3 years with mixed success from seed. It likes warm dryish weather (from experience) to germinate and growing from seed this year is hard work. However it has self seeded from previous years and I have about 10 plants dotted around that seem to cope much better with the cold and wet than newly sown seeds.

If you can get some growing just leave one or two to flower and it should come back in future years. It's a beautiful herb in looks, taste and aroma so worth persevering with.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X