Clematis wilting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clematis wilting

I planted this out a few weeks ago, kept it watered and yet already is looks like it is wilting and dying. No brown leaves, just wilting

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230617_094528.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2564120

I've found my clematis don't like to be watered at all, even if they are desperately thirsty. The leaves wilted and then went brown and that's it for the year. I don't know why that should be, but they came back the next year. It took about three years for me to realise that I was the cause of them dying back. If I water about 18" -24" away from them they're OK, but any closer and it kills the growth, so now I give them a thick mulch in May and leave them alone.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Really? That doesn't make sense as when planting Clematis they are supposed to be kept well watered until established, and add to that the recent extended hot weather
      Last edited by Marb67; 18-06-2023, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what happens to mine. maybe it's to do with my soil, which is heavy clay.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

I always understood clematis should be watered thoroughly rather than little and often
          Also - as MH says, water away from the base . Someone here advised me to put pieces of slate around the base.
          I followed all their advice and it started to grow beautifully. Then wilted overnight
          On closer inspection all the roots had been eaten by voles just below the soil line.
          Didn’t bother trying again.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Over the years i have seen many clematis wilting but most if not all came back the following year. Always understood to plant them if possible on well drained soil and leave alone.

Comment

To be fair I did just that, only watered before it wilted as all plants need water. Still wilting

Comment

Now it is dead. Another one for the book of failure.

Comment

Sorry to hear that marb. What state were the roots in?…had they rotted?
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I don't know, it is still in the ground.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X