Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no_akira
    replied
    Was watching Dr Moseley doing a fitness test the other day for the oldies which envolved how quickly or easily you can get up from a squatting position.

The oldy gardeners were best at this...

I garden in "batches" after the initial march dig over. The other day put my flower pot full of onion sets into 5 ft of section of bed (50-60) onions but lossesened the soil up using this snub trowel then riddling the top inch. Then using my dipper & spacing mat.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Originally posted by no_akira View Post
    My main use is "skimming" off overwintered weeds, its good at scrapping off the top 1cm of soil before digging the bed over.
    It must take a long time to "scrapp" of the top of a bed with a tiny bladed tool on a short handle. Not to mention how many times you'd have to stand up, squat down, stand up, keep moving ........or your talking about a square foot bed - but you wouldn't be digging that over.

Give me a long handled hoe and no digging - far more efficient and labour saving.
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 20-04-2018, 08:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Originally posted by no_akira View Post
    My main use is "skimming" off overwintered weeds, its good at scrapping off the top 1cm of soil before digging the bed over.
    I use my hoe for that, so no bending required, but if it works for you then it's all good.

Leave a comment:

• no_akira
    replied
    Jimny 14...

I've been using it for about 4 weeks, it's become my number #1 tool. The sharpened chisel like snub nose cuts into & breaks up heavy clods easily.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    "snub nosed trowel" or little shovel? Guess it depends on what you use a "trowel" for.

Leave a comment:

• Greenleaves
    replied
    I use one of these, Sneerboer is expensive but fantastic trowel

Click image for larger version

Name:	sneeboer-short-fat-trowel-code-Short-Fat-Trowel-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2377350
    Last edited by Greenleaves; 19-04-2018, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    I have to say, I quite like the pointy end of a trowel to actually manage to dig into my soil at times. But if it works for you, no-akira, that's more grist to your mill.

Leave a comment:

• Jimny14
    replied
    I find on our heavy stony clay that my trowels tended to bend and split at the neck when used to Lever out soil. I now use a hand fork to loosen up everything then trowel out the loose stuff after. I'd be interested to see if the sharpened stub nose is worth doing or not, I look forward to your long term review.

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    What was the issue with the original design?

Leave a comment:

• Modified standard garden trowel - "snub nosed trowel"

Always found the traditional garden trowel not that useful on heavy soil.

Well after a few minutes with "Mr Grinder & Mr Hammer"... Voila !

Its been de-beaked and flattened across the central area plus sharpened into a cutting edge across the snub and along the left hand edge as I am right handed (Right edge if you are left handed)

Disclaimer: Always wear safety googles and away from flamible materials when grinding metal.

Name:	snub-nosed_vs_standard_c.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2405753

Name:	snub_nosed_modification_c.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	2405754

Latest Topics

Collapse