Tips please for starting a new strawberry bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips please for starting a new strawberry bed

Hi Forum. Not been around for a while - looking after Mr Busy since October - thankfully recovered. The allotment has suffered from neglect but can be recovered with a bit of effort from me.
    I want to get a new bed going for strawberries - I have moved big clumps of mature plants and split them up - they look healthy. I have their beds cleared on the allotment.
    Should I plant them into black plastic or is this frowned upon now? I have a hatred of Mypex - mainly because my plot is so prone to nettles which grow through the Mypex and create havoc.
    if I plant into plastic I presume a watering system is required. I don't want to spend alot of money but have looked at drip bottles.
    your opinions please.

​​​​​​

I made a new strawb bed last year...and have just extended it to plant some runners from last year. Weeded it thoroughly first, but have covered it in a thick layer of bark chippings, leaving about an inch all round each plant for watering. Some weeds do get through it, but only the pernicious stuff like horsetail. Looks a lot nicer than black plastic I think.

Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Hi mrsbusy

I understand your aversion to the Mypex but it would have an advantage over the black plastic in that it will let water through. I guess you could stab the black plastic with a fork to make drainage holes for the water to go through - but that's an access point for weeds to grow through too.

However, our plot neighbour has just done the black plastic version & his solution for watering was to make a larger hole for planting that you'd make in a weed-suppressing membrane. His idea is that still be able to get water to each plant. He hopes that as the plants grow there won't be so many weeds growing under the canopy of their leaves but will be limiting the weeds between plants.

How about planting through cardboard with a compost/mulch on top (sort of 'no dig' strawberries)?

An alternative could be to make a seep hose & lay it under the plastic. Any old length of hose will do - doesn't matter if it's leaking as you'd make holes along in it anyway. With the right diameter spout on a watering can you can tip water down the exposed end of hose without worrying about having a tap/permanent connection nearby. If you'd have to buy a hose to do this though it wouldn't work out cheaper than buying a seep hose - but even a bought seep hose is cheaper than some of the fancy irrigation systems with timers, pumps etc.

Much like Vince G's wood chip version, on our plot we've just planted strawberries into soil well weeded beforehand & use a straw mulch later to protect the fruit whilst helping to retain moisture in the warmer weather. It seems to keep most of the weeds down to a manageable level.

Comment

When you plant strawberries on bare soil,no plastic or material,the runners can root themselves straight into a space,leaving the plants to look after themselves for years,there’s not many weeds because of strawberry plants,add some straw under the strawberries to stop the fruit touching the ground,I don’t get many weeds but the few can be pulled up,I don’t like plastic because of slugs,they’re hidden underneath from all wildlife predators. I planted my strawberries & over the years they travelled southwards down the bed so you know the older plants,as the plants get older years later,they’re not as productive,so pull them out & plant something else in the gap.
        This was my bed in 2021,started with six bought plants,planted on the edge of the raised bed under the swing frame,there’s not many plants this year,they’re at the edge of the bed,I’ll make a new bed somewhere else but see how close they grow to each other left wild,no space for a weed -

Click image for larger version

Name:	0C7A062E-F4D7-47FE-8D91-F66041627A9A.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2577416

Comment

I just found this photo from 2018,where the strawberry plants began taking over that bed I must’ve planted the first plants in 2016/2017….

Click image for larger version

Name:	A27F404F-4EE1-4F89-BC76-BB701DB154B5.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	805.4 KB
ID:	2577418

Comment

Lovely to see you back!
            sorry to hear your OH has been so ill

As for strawberries….lI do a similar thing to JJ.
            I have a very exposed garden and was concerned I’d have organic straw blowing all over the place. But no, only the odd stem here and there.
            The plants actually seem to hold it in place if planted relatively close together. I put fresh down on top of the older straw in the Spring and as that settles just tuck a bit more under the leaves.
            Probably 3” deep.. it helps prevent the strawberries sitting on the soil and rotting or munched by slugs on the soil.

Do make sure you’ve taken out all the tenacious weeds before you start. I get the odd thistle, dock and couch grass peeking through which are promptly lifted out.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Strawbs prefer slightly acidic soil too, which I reckon the layer of bark chips probably helps with.
              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I've just started a new strawberry bed this week.

I've covered it in black plastic, cut holes for the plants and planted through the holes. This weekend I'll cover the plastic with bark chippings.
                An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X