X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first decided to start growing my on veggies I got really worried about the temp/germination thing and in the end I just put all my pots and trays on my windowsil and that was all they got appart from water. I sowed strawberries, tomatoes, courgettes, butternut squash, sunburst squash, aubergines, chilies, peppers, herbs, and peas and every one of them has germinated and if I do say so myself is looking rather good.
    Infact most germinated after a week and at the most 2. My house isnt that hot.
    However the proof is in the pudding, lets see what happens at cropping time!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Windowsill works for me too Alison. However, it's what you do with them afterwards that matters. Toms will germinate on a windowsill in mid-winter - but they won't get the best conditions for growth on a windowsill in the short days of winter. They need a longer day length than you can give them then. Even in a heated greenhouse the days are short. Germination is only half the battle.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As Flum says, germination is only half the battle ... but you've got to win that battle in order to fight the next, which is keeping those baby seedlings alive
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

bump
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            As Flum says, germination is only half the battle ... but you've got to win that battle in order to fight the next, which is keeping those baby seedlings alive
            Oh so true - I have just lost some russian taragon that had geminated nicely in my kitchen windowsill, only to find them dropping at an alarming rate due to damping off

I'm guessing it was just too humid where I had them, stupid mistake, I should have known better
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Great info TS,thank you very much.
              Maybe instead of bumping we could ask our kind mods to move it somewhere handy?LIke Growing Technics?

Comment

Sticky?..................................Running for cover.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Sticky?..................................Running for cover.
                  Done ....run faster BM!
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Well I think it's worthy of a sticky award so well done TS.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X