Four to eight inch stones

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four to eight inch stones

What happens to those from your veggie bed ?
    My rotovator kicks up if not removed so have a pile of them. They are too big for making into paths or using in concrete but too small for rockeries. The softer shale type can be smashed with a lump hammer but over here we have mostly harder like granite. In past have found a place ty bury them and also notice folks advertise similar bagged up as hard core on recycling sites but am probably missing some of the better ways of using them.
    Growing on north facing mid weight shallow topsoil, clay subsoil in Falmouth, Cornwall

We have loads of chunks of granite about that size.
    We use them to hold down fleece and around the hugel beds so the soil doesn’t tumble down onto the paths.
    Also, the larger ones we use to edge off flower borders.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You could give some to me!
      I'm on clay, so my soil naturally has no stones at all, not even tiny ones (although the beds at my allotment closest to the gravel path have taken on a certain number from the path over the years), but I could definitely use a couple dozen about that size for weighing stuff down, like Nicos says.

Comment

Yes had forgotten about how my carpeting weed cover likes to sail off in Spring gales, shall put aside some of the bigger lumps for this. Last year i used my home made pots for weights which are probably a lot easier to pick up but much less attractive. They are small lengths of 4" terracotta soil pipe filled in at bottom with concrete and almost never get blown about.
        Growing on north facing mid weight shallow topsoil, clay subsoil in Falmouth, Cornwall

Comment

Seems best place for bigger stones is in paths that have deeper boggy ruts during winter, which wasn't apparent in drier weather.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X