Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 133
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Allium Thread

  1. #1
    kittykat8 is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cornwall
    Posts
    469

    Default The Allium Thread

    When are people goiung to start sowing their onion seed, I can start at home but the tray will have to sit in the polytunnel, unheated.
    Last edited by zazen999; 27-12-2009 at 11:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kittykat8 View Post
    When are people goiung to start sowing their onion seed, I can start at home but the tray will have to sit in the polytunnel, unheated.
    I'd crack the seeds indoors on a windowsill but then they should be fine in an unheated come the end of february. If you can get any heat at all down there (even one of those little sump heaters just to keep the frost off then they could go straight down there....
    I'll be starting my first batch of Kelsaes, Spanish Giant and Russian Standard (probably the biggest out of those three) plus maybe some Sturon, Tropea and Aisla Craig over the Xmas break

    chrisc

  3. #3
    sarraceniac's Avatar
    sarraceniac is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire coast. Zone 8b
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    I've got my Kenshyu sitting outside, but they are over-wintering ones. I have planted doubles of all my maincrop, one tray in a cold greenhouse and one standing outside. Want to see how they go on. They were very nice and healthy until the weather turned but now I can't even see them. The g'house ones look OK though.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

    Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

  4. #4
    northepaul's Avatar
    northepaul is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    4,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscross1966 View Post
    I'd crack the seeds indoors on a windowsill but then they should be fine in an unheated come the end of february. If you can get any heat at all down there (even one of those little sump heaters just to keep the frost off then they could go straight down there....
    I'll be starting my first batch of Kelsaes, Spanish Giant and Russian Standard (probably the biggest out of those three) plus maybe some Sturon, Tropea and Aisla Craig over the Xmas break

    chrisc
    Hi Chris,
    I am going to get my onion seeds going shortly, someone else adviced me to not use a heated propagator, but I thought this would be the best way to start them off?
    I could either do this, or pop them on a sunny windowsill...

  5. #5
    Bigmallly's Avatar
    Bigmallly is offline Think outside the box
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chilling out in my Tree Nest.
    Posts
    25,224

    Default

    I sowed ailsa craig onion seeds last week on windowsill, they are just starting to show through.
    “Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

  6. #6
    ken smith is offline Seedling
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    co. durham
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Unless your onions are for exhibition I can see no advantage in setting them away before February.

  7. #7
    Pies's Avatar
    Pies is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ashford kent
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Unless your onions are for exhibition I can see no advantage in setting them away before February.
    I can it frees up space in the propagator/greenhouse,quite a few things can go in in Feb

  8. #8
    sarraceniac's Avatar
    sarraceniac is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire coast. Zone 8b
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pies View Post
    I can it frees up space in the propagator/greenhouse,quite a few things can go in in Feb
    I came on to make that very point Pies. My glass protection is very busy in early spring.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

    Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Similar Threads

  1. Allium seeds
    By sarahspatch in forum The Flower Mill
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-02-2011, 09:32 PM
  2. Allium Giganteum
    By Peppertom in forum The Flower Mill
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-05-2009, 06:10 PM
  3. Allium moly
    By blue411 in forum The Flower Mill
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-03-2009, 03:51 PM
  4. Allium
    By blue411 in forum The Flower Mill
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16-08-2008, 01:34 PM
  5. Allium Spacings
    By pigletwillie in forum Vegging Out
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-01-2007, 07:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts