Edible Edges - today's daft idea!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edible Edges - today's daft idea!

As you know, or don't yet, I have about 30 randomly shaped beds, each containing a motley collection of veg, fruit, herbs and flowers.

In one bed I've been planting all the "spring" onions, chives and mini leeks alongside the path on one side. It wasn't deliberate, just easy, and, as they've bulked up, its given me an idea. I could edge the bed, all the way round, with these alliums.

What if all beds were planted with the quick to mature/or cut and come again veg on the outside for easy access. The next, inner, row of planting would be moderately fast - like beetroot and kale. In the centre would be the longstanding, slow to mature veggies like sprouts that need little attention for months - or a fruit bush or tree, or something ornamental.

A bit like the rings in a tree trunk. Circular-ish rings of plants, probably with the tallest in the centre.

Daft or not??

Makes perfect sense to me A bit like an old-fashioned bedding scheme but for veg instead of flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      As you know, or don't yet, I have about 30 randomly shaped beds, each containing a motley collection of veg, fruit, herbs and flowers.

In one bed I've been planting all the "spring" onions, chives and mini leeks alongside the path on one side. It wasn't deliberate, just easy, and, as they've bulked up, its given me an idea. I could edge the bed, all the way round, with these alliums.

What if all beds were planted with the quick to mature/or cut and come again veg on the outside for easy access. The next, inner, row of planting would be moderately fast - like beetroot and kale. In the centre would be the longstanding, slow to mature veggies like sprouts that need little attention for months - or a fruit bush or tree, or something ornamental.

A bit like the rings in a tree trunk. Circular-ish rings of plants, probably with the tallest in the centre.

Daft or not??
      Daft
      but an idea worth considering, though I would substitute edible flowers in some of the edging, as I doubt if I could eat enough to maintain a reasonable edging "hedge" where as one with edible flowers gives you the option of cutting for display
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

It'll be different "edges" for each bed, so some will be flowers, some herbs and some veg -they'll be the plants that need the most frequent attention.
        As Thelma says, like old-fashioned bedding that you see in parks with edibles (Thelma, I'm worried about you - makes sense!!!)

Comment

Do it VC! I think that would look really pretty

Comment

I think too that it could be really pretty. And a good use of space (don't they say something like that for slow growing crops? planting quick things in between to use up the space and avoid weeds).

I want to see pictures when they are done!

Comment

This is Bed 21U back in July. The onions are, mostly, on the right edge, with a mulberry in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9781.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	2381197

It was the chard and asparagus kale bed but the chooks have eaten most of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                Do it VC! I think that would look really pretty
                Sp, try not to encourage her, as you know there will be an other thing brought out tomorrow, which you might feel you need to try
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

VC you have some really daft ideas.

This one isn't the daftest.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with you - its not very daft at all - a bit boringly sensible actually. Its not even very random or alphabetically inclined.

I must try harder.

Comment

The problem, VC, as I see it is you've essentially tried this, tested it and you know it works. So it's not really an idea as such, any more. You've got your proof of concept. The only things you can do now with it are more of the same or write a book about it. Or move on to the next idea, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                        The problem, VC, as I see it is you've essentially tried this, tested it and you know it works. So it's not really an idea as such, any more. You've got your proof of concept. The only things you can do now with it are more of the same or write a book about it.
                        I'm not sure that growing a bendy row of onions/leeks counts as testing - most "sensible" gardeners grow in rows, albeit straight ones. Where's the fun in that?
                        But I take your point, Snoop.

I may make Bed 21U a test bed as I worked out the planting scheme in the shower.
                        Onions/chives/baby leeks/shallots/garlic in the outer ring.
                        Next carrots
                        Next Calendula
                        Centre - Wizard Field beans

Apart from the carrots (which I may sow anyway), I can sow the rest this month.

Or move on to the next idea, of course.
                        That'll be "The Garden that Sows Itself" - comprising only perennials and self seeding annuals. Problem with that is I couldn't grow courgettes and you'd all say I've tried the self seeding bit before.

Comment

I like the idea its handy to have the things you eat the most around the edges.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

An update on the Test Bed 21U.
                            I've dug up the docks, pulled out the buttercups, raked off the oak leaves and transplanted some honesty.

Name:	DSCF0359.jpg
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	2381213

There were some little surprises -

Name:	DSCF0366.jpg
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2381214
                            Potatoes,
                            A self seeded tomato -that I left

Name:	DSCF0362.jpg
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	2381215

A garlic with either a seed head or aerial cloves.

Name:	DSCF0365.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	2381216

The pots of onions will be planted around the edge of the bed. They were in those pots in the July photo too.

Comment

I like a mixed bed,things like garlic are difficult when you have to dig them up & disturb the roots of the neighbouring plants & being able to reach any flowers to dead head them. I made a mistake of having a cucumber plant at the back of my tomatoes,I was training it up a cane but it had sneaky sideshoots that I only noticed when I was cutting some tomato leaves off,then you get massive overgrown cucumbers,still ate them though they were alright

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X