Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber problem

Hi all,

I'm growing Marketmore and crystal lemon cucumbers and having problems with them tasting horrible. They're both outdoor varieties, so the issue shouldn't be with the male flowers. I grew both last year and both varieties were fine so I think it's unlikely to be cross-pollination troubles. The crystal lemons were the first to start it, with a horrible taste, but then one of my marketmores which have been fine until now (although I've only had a couple) was also disgusting.

I'll be starting hand pollinating from tonight just in case it is cross pollination, but it will be a couple of weeks before I know if this is helping.

Does anyone have any other theories?

I'm no expert Fiona but this does sound like cross pollination... maybe you were just lucky last year?

I wonder if you've hand pollinated, can they still be cross-pollinated by insects - or is it 'done' once they've been pollinated once?!

Comment

I'm glad you started this thread as I have the same problem. I'm growing Telegraph and Ponam Khera the Khera taste great but the two telegraph that have ripened so far are really bitter.
      Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          My mum used to do this when we were kids and grew them at home. I tried it with the telegraph and nothing came out at all after about a minute of rubbing. It still tasted really bitter.
          Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Could it be down to watering? i had the same thing last year so this time I've got a couple of my plants on capillary matting I'll see how they do compared to those in the GH bed.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
              I wonder if you've hand pollinated, can they still be cross-pollinated by insects - or is it 'done' once they've been pollinated once?!
              I have tried to separate them - the two crystal lemons are next to each other on one side of the garden and the 4 marketmore on the other side. I suppose the only way to be sure would be to hand pollinate and then isolate the flowers, the same as for seed saving. I'll give both a go and see if either work.

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Interesting, I'll give this a try with the crystal lemons that are almost too big to harvest...

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              Could it be down to watering? i had the same thing last year so this time I've got a couple of my plants on capillary matting I'll see how they do compared to those in the GH bed.
              Do you mean lack of or inconsistent watering? I can't really help the second, but I doubt it would be the plants getting too little water - even on the sunny days here we've had rain. I've only had to water 2 or 3 times so far, and those were only so I could feed the plants anyway.
              Last edited by cristalfiona; 29-07-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I bung mine all together in the Greenhouse (All require pollination) and have never ever had this problem so it's strange.

Therefore I'd think it's not cross pollination causing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by cristalfiona View Post
                  Do you mean lack of or inconsistent watering? I can't really help the second, but I doubt it would be the plants getting too little water - even on the sunny days here we've had rain. I've only had to water 2 or 3 times so far, and those were only so I could feed the plants anyway.
                  I got to wondering that inconsistent watering might stress the plants I know it effects toms so thought I'd try the capillary matting and a water trough.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X