Time to collect those leaves folks!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to collect those leaves folks!

I hope you've all remembered to start raking up those leaves and store them to make compost for next year?

Nice and free too!

We raked up a huge pile in our driveway- so that lot is going to our woodyard where we have extra compost bins especially for the leaves

And so- how many bags have you collected so far??
    Last edited by Nicos; 24-10-2014, 07:15 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Three bags full so far, Nicos!
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I was wondering about this. Round here we have a lot of horse chestnuts, all of which have had heavy infestations of leaf miners. Are these ok to compost or is it going to spread the disease further or cause more trouble down the line? It's impossible to separate these leaves out!

Comment

I've just answered my own question with the help of Wikipedia. The last generation of leaf miners can pupate and survive winters up to -23 degrees and re-emerge in spring. Only way to rid is burning. Looks like a no to leaf litter for me. What a shame .

Comment

1 and a bit daleks so far - and only the ash and birch are falling.
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've got a cage only the one so the leaves I collected in it last year now get bagged and left to rot down for another year. I love free leafmold
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post
              I've just answered my own question with the help of Wikipedia. The last generation of leaf miners can pupate and survive winters up to -23 degrees and re-emerge in spring. Only way to rid is burning. Looks like a no to leaf litter for me. What a shame .
              Darn...but I would have thought that if properly composted...with a good heat involved...surely that would kill it off too?

Comment

Aha. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=533 looks like it's ok as long as the leaf litter is kept in sealed bags until at least the following July. That's fine then! It was all going to go into black bin bags anyway. Hooray. What a leaf-composting roller coaster it is this morning!

Comment

Yey...good news for you!..

Quote...
                  Alternatively, the leaves can be composted in sealed bags that are kept closed until the following July, by which time the adult moths will have emerged and died. This can delay the build-up of damage during summer but is only worthwhile for isolated trees where most of the fallen leaves can be gathered up.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=533

Comment

Snap!!!!

Comment

Great minds Nicos! Thanks for looking anyway!

Comment

I would think it would be almost impossible for there not to be some bugs in with the leaves. However the benefits are worth any possible risk particularly as you are looking at 1-2 years to make.

Comment

I chuck the fallen leaves in the chooks's run and they rootle round in it. When there's a decent pile its raked out into the compost bin, along with everything else they've done. I've stopped trying to compost it separately.

Comment

We have 4 poplars bordering my block of flats. Am gathering the leaves in bags and will see if I can sweet-talk the local gardeners into leaving me a builders bag of them. Saves 'em taking them away and all...
                            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

leaves

The only leaves I get for the garden are olive leaves and pine needles. The olive leaves which are from the branches that go through the shredder are in a HUGE heap ready for continuous applications to the veggie garden. The pine needles are used on the garden pathways to suppress the weeds - and a wonderful job they are doing too. And when they get wet they smell divine Although not leaves, I also use the husks from the almonds that also get popped through the shredder - these are good for adding bulk to my soil. They are bagged up and when you open them after a couple of months they smell of fermenting fruit.
                              Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X