Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving an allotment :( Asparagus and comfrey?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving an allotment :( Asparagus and comfrey?

So, we're handing our allotment back as ill health in the family has meant we can't keep up with it anymore. I would like to bring my little permanent plants home, as I've mothered them for a few years now and they are still too small to be productive - the new occupant might not even notice them! However to be as helpful as possible to the next occupant I want to move them all as soon as possible so they can crack on with adapting the plot to suit them etc.

Most of the plants I'm ok with moving as they are young berry bushes I brought in/grew from cuttings about a year or so ago that won't like being moved while in leaf but will probably cope longterm. However I have two weird ones I'm less familiar with:

Asparagus - I'm thinking we're approaching the time of year where one buys crowns anyway, so would digging them up and putting them in dry soil in the dark be suitable? They are only in their first year since planting and have yet to produce anything of note (mostly they just rot).

Comfrey - I have some bocking 14 - I think about 10 fully grown plants in a border. I intend to leave them there with a note on explaining they are bocking 14 rather than wild comfrey and hope the new owner appreciates that sort of thing, but also would like to take some roots so as I can continue my own collection at home. Do I just dig up a plant and chop bits of it's root system off and keep them much the same way as I would keep the asparagus?
    Proud member of the Nutters Club.
    Life goal: become Barbara Good.

No idea about the asparagus, but you should be fine to take comfrey roots, they're pretty hard to kill.
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

What I would have loved when I got my previous plot would have been notes from the previous person as to what they had been growing where.

Take comfrey easy peasy but not sure how the asparagus would feel about moving. Take lots of soil and be careful?

Comment

This may help

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gus_37155.html
        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

The comfrey will grow back for them anyway, just dig up your roots and pop into pots until you have somewhere at home for them to go.

Comment

Brilliant - thank you! That's good news about the comfrey. The chaps usually on this allotment site are classic traditional allotmenteers so I'm not sure the comfrey will be appreciated, so good to know I can take a bunch with me. I'll have a poke about with the asparagus and see how big it is. I didn't realise it could grow so big!
            Proud member of the Nutters Club.
            Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X