Training apples to a fan shape?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training apples to a fan shape?

I already have apples trained as a 45 degree cordon at the allotment but wanted a more 'ornamental' system for trainng a couple of apples along my house fence.
    I don't fancy espaliers as I think they look a bit too 'false' but I'm opting for fan training. I will put in the canes first in a fan shape the intend training the branches along these.

The apples were Aldi cheapo specials planted last year. I've pruned off all the forward facing branches in the summer and will put the canes in shortly. I then intend to just tie the branches onto the canes as they grow.

Will this work I wonder?

One apple is a Cox, which does well at the allotment and I can't remember what the other is, but its a coxes pollinator.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

The RHS seem to think fan training apples is ok: Apples and pears: summer pruning / Royal Horticultural Society

I did see a very interesting training system in the walled garden at Audley End in Essex (Audley End Organic Kitchen Garden in Essex)

Here, (many of) the apples are trained as in a "V" shape. The basic truck is vertical about 1ft or 18 inches high and then split into two leaders each about 45 degrees from horizontal (so about 90 degrees between them the leaders). There was no further branching, each leader being trained as a cordon at 45 degrees.

Thre trees were planted so that the cordons of each tree overlapped with the next, so it looked like a thin hedge. We went at the Easter bank holidays, and the trees all looked pretty heathy, but obviously I have no idea about yields etc. I am sure this would work against the wall of a house and I think would look quite pretty, but I expect not as pretty as a fan.

Comment

I am training an apple tree into a fan, its against a fence, so I am just pruning and tieing it into the shape, dont know if I am doing it the right way, but it is growing and producing fine, so seems easy enough.
      passionate about plants

http://escapetotheallotment.blogspot.co.uk/ Check out my new blog...

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X