Apples in storage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apples in storage

Here, waiting to be made into cider in early October. I've still got a fair number left on the tree, though now mainly way up at the top, out of reach even of my telescopic fruit-picker, unless I use the step-ladders as well, which is a bit dodgy because the ground's soft and uneven. I may have to let them fall of their own accord.
    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Blimey, that's a load! How many trees do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
      Blimey, that's a load! How many trees do you have?
      Five, but only the 'James Grieve' in production, the other four (three on M26 semi-dwarfing rootstock, one on MM106, which is slightly more vigorous) having only been planted in 2008. The crabs came from trees growing in hedgerows in the neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
        unless I use the step-ladders as well, which is a bit dodgy because the ground's soft and uneven. I may have to let them fall of their own accord.
        Put down a bit of plywood under your stepladder

Comment

I put planks under the feet when I use it in the garden, but it's still a bit dodgy, especially if I'm waving a ten-foot-long fruit-picker around, because that tends to unbalance me.

Comment

I have a James Grieve too, although its only a baby. Do you also eat them or only keep for cider?

Comment

I'm eating them as well, and have used some in apple and marrow chutney (the marrow being 'Lungo Fiorentino', and I used my own 'Ailsa Craig' onions as well), and I may make more chutney. There are plemty to spare, and still make loads of cider.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                Blimey, that's a load!
                Actually, that's only 5/7ths of a load. I've got seven shelves full, and starting to put them two-deep as you can see - six of JG, and one, in the middle, of mixed crabs. I think this is my best-ever harvest, in 33 years in this house!
                Last edited by StephenH; 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I've just picked, and gathered as windfalls, even more, and am now seriously short of storage: all my shelves are two-deep, which is not ideal. I am, of course, checking every few days for rotten ones. Still a fair number on the tree. Any more will have to get frozen until I start making cider, although I'm running out of freezer space as well.

Comment

Hee hee!!
                    I'm about to go scrumping, hopefully with permission, but I'm not even going to attempt that much storage!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X