Spiny courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiny courgettes

I've searched everywhere to find out about the little spiny hairs on the courgettes I'm growing and nowhere is helping me. Theres a lot about the spines on the plants, but what about on the actual veg? Do I need to do anything before eating them (beyond the usual washing)? I have no idea what variety they are, as they were given to me by a colleague. But they seem to be trailing....
    This is a plea from a very newby grower - please help!

Those are nasty little hairs on the vines aren't they? They really irritate my skin.

I hadn't noticed any on the fruits though
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've got spiky fruit this year on some of mine, I think Green Bush is one of the worst. I just ignore them, cook them and then forget all about it, so I presume from that, that they disappear when they are cooked
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

sure they're courgettes?
        you can get small spiny cucumbers...if they're anything like those types of spikes, rub them off before you use it.
        got a picture? I'd love to see one

Comment

Thanx womble. I just gave it more vigorous wash and then cooked it.... There were still spines on it tho.... No adverse affects as yet!

Taff - will take a photo tomorrow for u. Hadnt thought that it might not be courgette.....

Comment

Here's a pic of one of the courgettes that are on the plant at the moment. As you can see it's quite hairy.... they are small wiry hairs which don't all come off when washed and rubbed.
            Attached Files

Comment

Got them on mine this year (defender) but not as bad as yours. Mine are hard to see but you can feel them with your fingers when picking them.

Made the wife jump when she touched one so can't be all bad.

Comment

I suppose you could peel them if you really don't like the spiky bits.

Comment

My courgettes are a bit hairy this year but not as bad as in the picture. By the time they're washed they've obviously disappeared. We grew the same variety last year (from seed) but can't remember them being hairy or perhaps they were and I've forgotten.

Comment

I was wondering if scrubbing them with a scourer may get rid of them.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Homewood View Post
                      Here's a pic of one of the courgettes that are on the plant at the moment. As you can see it's quite hairy.... they are small wiry hairs which don't all come off when washed and rubbed.
                      I'm growing an opal variety this year, there aren't as many spines as your has (they're more like hairs), but the spikes on the opals are so sharp it can hurt picking them. But once cooked there aren't any left. Courgettes go fairly floppy anyway during cooking and I'd imagine fine hairs like those would burn off or melt away.

Verdict: fine
                      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                      Snadger - Director of Poetry
                      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X