Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Pumpkin

Hi Guys,

When growing a giant pumpkin, If I have a square space. Where do I put the plant. Do I put it in the middle or in a corner so the fruit can grow in the middle???

How big's the square?

Comment

Originally posted by haza1981 View Post
      Hi Guys,

When growing a giant pumpkin, If I have a square space. Where do I put the plant. Do I put it in the middle or in a corner so the fruit can grow in the middle???
      ooh good question! Have 3 100 weights in a 1.5mx3.5m patch and i'm not sure if i may have over cooked it

Binley really does Know best!
      G4-Meteorological mastermind! Stone/String it's all covered!
      Jeanied- Makes your day complete!!
      PB- Masteress of Pumpkins!

I Don't Know who Dave is...But he's one cool Dude!
      I Once was a Tuber but with a little practice!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCrow View Post
        ooh good question! Have 3 100 weights in a 1.5mx3.5m patch and i'm not sure if i may have over cooked it
        1.5 miles by 3.5 miles, should just about be ok

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Aww, don't panic him, he's only got a little plot

Comment

Oh dear

PB hows your digging arm?
            Last edited by DarkCrow; 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

The problem with rambling pumpkin is that you don't know what direction they're going to grow in and they're hard to guide once they've started. I'd have put 6 to 8 in that space and kept my fingers crossed!

That said, my are still in pots in the greenhouse waiting for the various other things to hurry up and finish! Then there will be 8ish pumpkins and squash going into a patch slightly larger than yours.
              Garden Grower
              Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

its about 4meterx4meter so which part should I put my lonley pumpkin?

Comment

Originally posted by haza1981 View Post
                  its about 4meterx4meter so which part should I put my lonley pumpkin?
                  well i'd say slap bang in the middle then let it do what it's gonna

Comment

Okay, serious time now *ahem* (just clearing my throat)

Once a pumpkin plant has developed its first true leaf, you will be able to see which direction the vine is going to grow in, its going to 'roughly' follow that first leaf. Therefore I would suggest placing the plant at the back of your bed/area, with that leaf pointing towards the front of the bed. Having said that, they are incredibly strong plants and will tend to wander wherever they want to, but if you want it to stay in the bed area for as long as possible before making a bid for freedom, that is the best way to plant it.

Here endeth the lesson

Comment

Cool thanks......gonna get it in over the weekend. Would I still need to harden it off at this time of year?

Comment

Yes, depending on where it's been!

I plant my squashes and pumpkins on the corners and let them ramble around the paths. I find that you can guide them by using 3 canes, on either side of the stalk as it grows, and just move the one closest to the plant further away each time [so pin one either side where you want it and move the pins as it grows.

I also take off some of the leaves that are older and more raggled as it grows.

You can do this round and round your square bed, and when it grows a pumpkin, put a plate or slate underneath it to keep it from getting dirty. That's why I let them ramble on the paths, it keeps the fruit clean and I can get to it to turn it as it ripens.

Comment

when it grows a pumpkin, put a plate or slate underneath it to keep it from getting dirty.
                          Or a wooden pallet if you're going for a really big one!

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                            Once a pumpkin plant has developed its first true leaf, you will be able to see which direction the vine is going to grow in, its going to 'roughly' follow that first leaf.
                            Sorry Pumpkin Becki - I find that the plants will tend to vine in the opposite direction to the first true leaf. Maybe its just me though.

Haza - I would grow the pumpkin plant in the middle of one of the boundaries and atleast 4ft into the patch away from the boundary. A giant pumpkin root system will grow 10ft+ out from the stump and very shallow, so its not good to obstruct the roots by planting next to your path/wall etc.

Allow your main vine to grow up the middle of the patch and as far as you can let it. Stop your side vines (secondaries) at about 2m when they reach the edge of your patch. Any vines that grow off the secondary vines (tertiary vines) should be nipped out as you need air to circulateto help prevent diseases.
                            My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
                            https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
                            http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

Planted mine out yesterday! Put some tupperware over he top of it until it gets established.
                              The few years that I've grown them I've aimed to get the leader pegged down & rooted as many places as I can. Theoretically more roots = more nutrients = hopefully bigger pumpkins.
                              They tend to have a mind of there own direction wise and are easy snapped when trying to re-direct them!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X