Gods guide to Lawn Care

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gods guide to Lawn Care

This is especially for Slug but the rest of the grapes may find it useful!

[B]A conversation between the Creator and St Francis on the subject of Lawn Care[B]

God Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there in England? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistles and stuff I started aeons ago? I had a perfect no maintainence garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. Their nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies and bees and flocks of birds. I expected to see a vast garden of colours by now, but all I see is green rectangles.
    St Francis It's the tribes that settled there, Lord, the Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great lengths to replace them with grass.
    God But it's so boring. It's not colourful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and worms. I'ts tempermental about temperature. Do these Surburbanites really want all that grass growing there?
    St Francis Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilising the grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.
    God The Spring rains make the grass grow reallu fast that must make the Suburbanites happy.
    St Francis Apparentyl not, Lord. As soon as it grows they cut it, sometimes twice a week.
    God They cut it? Do they bale it for hay?
    St Francis Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it into bags.
    God They bag it? Why, is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?
    [B]St Francis[B] No, Sir just the opposite. They throw it away.
    God Now let me get this straight. They fertilise it so it will grow, and when it does they cut it off and throw it away?
    St Francis Yes, Sir.
    God These Suburbanites mist relieved when in the Summer we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work?
    St Francis You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and then get rid of it.
    God What nonsense. At least they keep some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke og genius, if I say it myself. The leaves on the trees provide beauty in the Spring, shade in the Summer, and then they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees ans shrubs. And as they rot they form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural cycle of life.
    St FrancisYou'd better sit down, Lord. The Surburbanites have a new cycle. As soon as the leaves fall they rake them into great piles and find someone to take them away.
    God No! What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in Winter and to keep the soil moist and loose/
    St Francis After throwing away the leaves they go out and buy something called Mulch and spread it around instead of the leaves.
    God Where do they get this Mulch?
    St Francis They cut down trees and grind them up to make mulch.
    God I don't want to think about this any more. St Catherine, you are in charge of Arts, what movie have you got for tonight?
    St Catherine Dumb and Dumber, Lord. It's a really stupid movie about.
    God Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St Francis!

With appologies for any typos
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Nice one roitelet...how very apt!!!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sad but true, in a funny kind of way...
      Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Superb. At last I know why I like my lawn full of dandelions and daisies - it's the way it was intended
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Nice one roitelet...how very apt!!!
          PS Forgot to add, I call mine 'The Green Desert'
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Very good Roitelet!
            [

Comment

Very good... and how true!

Comment

Thank you Roitelet, excellent, but will it alter our habits. Might have to look at my own.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think mine might meet the Almighty's standards! Full of dandelions, daisies and other stuff, hardly any grass!
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    Thank you Roitelet, excellent, but will it alter our habits. Might have to look at my own.
                    No Alice it won't alter my habits, my 'lawn' is just a patch of mown weeds and full of flowers It's lovely
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

My lawn is a bit of grass interspersed with lots of patches of earth which have been dug up by the rabbit.

Roxie is available to hire where there is no space for a JCB
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Can she dig up Parsnips?

Comment

Haven't tried her with that, although apparently rabbits can be trained. She's very good at large stones and bits of old root though.

Not sure how much of the parsnip would be left. It might be like getting a pig to root for truffles.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                            Superb. At last I know why I like my lawn full of dandelions and daisies - it's the way it was intended

Snap . Hopefully now I can justify it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                              On reading it I've actually come to the decision that daisies do actually look quite nice - no more weeding them out for me, I'm gonna let them grow and just do the mowing bit for the compost heap!

I might try to get rid of the moss though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X