Strawberries and alliums under weed control

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries and alliums under weed control

I have recently prepared a new raised bed and aim on planting strawberry plants this weekend through holes in weed control fabric which i understand is a good method for strawberries.
    I also understand that onions are a companion plant for strawberries and as such i thought of growing a few garlic and shallot sets through holes in the fabric too.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks stv

My strawberries grew really well through the membrane- the runners need potting on earlier as they can't get a root into the soil( if you want to keep some)
    Never grown onions with them...I wonder if it'd be a bit damp though ????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'd have thought onions might have issues with it through the winter, but equally surely an overwintering onion is fairly tough against that anyway, it's not like it never rains in Japan.... some of it would be temperate rainforest if it had trees on it....

crhisc

Comment

I am (or have been) a big user of weed membrane mainly for initial weed clearance but for a very wide range of crops. I don't like to use it for too long- 2 years max-on any piece of ground. Strawberries are the possible exception as the bed might last 5 years. It is very convenient, but consider that the birds can't get to the weevils and slugs etc. also, that it is difficult to provide food and water just to the roots (avoiding fruit and foliage). Inclusion of a seep hose is a definite winner.

I wasn't aware of the advantages of companioning straws with aliums but I don't see why it shouldn't work through the membrane. In my case the holes in the Mypex are reused thus spacings are too large. (ideal for giant showbench onions?) This is surely slightly against the principle for you raised bed growers though (super fertile and intensive planting at reduced spacings ...it is the whole point isn't it?). Final thought is: if you make loads of holes the stuff, like a swiss cheese...it will just fray to bits and not cover enough land to suppress light and thus the weeds....on balance I'd grow the onions else where

Comment

Paul,

I agree, i think i will grow elsewhere. The main reason for growing in this bed is the remainder of the plot is open land as opposed to raised beds and i fancied trying them in this pristine bed! I might try just a few garlic, or other, in the bed on the edges, but fold back membrane so i can replace in future...

Thanks for advice
          Stv
          Last edited by stv; 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X