Sweet Corn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Corn

I picked two sweet corn last night, the tassle bits had started to go brown. When I opened them they looked magnificent, but were a little disappointed when we ate them. They were not juicy, but very sweet. Do you think I should have left them a couple of days longer, how can you tell when they are really ready?
    Slowly takes it!

Originally posted by lesleygl View Post
    , the tassle bits had started to go brown.
    You have to let the tassels go like burnt hair, then leave them for another week or so after that.

Press a fingernail into one kernel - if the juice is clear, they're not ready. If the juice is milky ... eat them quick.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thank you Two Sheds, will give it a go
      Slowly takes it!

Comment

The sweetcorn is always at its best two days after the squirrels have already nicked it!
        TwoSheds is, as always, right, 'the tassels go brown' is not a good way to describe it as they go brown quite early in the cob's development, what books should say is that they go brown and crispy. You can always peel back the covering leaf to check on a cob's development, if they're not ready the leaves can be folded back.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

My earlibird is just coming through now.. had the first one grilled last night... it was very yum....

chrisc

Comment

Tried my first sweetcorn a couple of weeks ago and they were not very tasty, so had a look yesterday and what a difference, so picked some off and had for tea - delicious. I can't believe the difference a couple of weeks makes.

Comment

We're having sweetcorn for lunch today - well were are after reading this

Must get the pan on....

Comment

My partner had 6 for his lunch the other day...I didn't get a look in! Ours our ripening in dribs and drabs, which is a good thing so we don't get a glut. I've forgotten what i planted - bi-colour and something else. Anyway, he confirms that it tasted amazing. I am looking forward to my turn next!
                We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X