Male Courgettes Only - Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Courgettes Only - Help

Hi - so far all my courgette plants are producing male's only and with the best will in the world I would like some girls - sorry to you guys out there.

Anyone else having this problem and any advice please.

It helps us if you put a location in your profile.

Don't fret...Curcubits often just start with just male flowers...the girls will get going soon....just getting their make up on I'd guess.

The flowers particularly delicious in tempura batter with sweet chile dipping sauce.

Comment

It's normal Streetperson. The male flowers always come first on courgettes, the girls will be along anyday.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Or maybe you bought gay plants ;-)

Comment

you can always tell the boy flowers from the girl flower.....they always get there first being all flash..but the girls take longer to get going, but they do all the hard work, and produce the dinner....... what more can be said....ha ha SORRY BOYS

Comment

Thanks for that - closer investigation has revealed that the girls are getting ready to go - so there will be a party!!

Comment

mine are the same , i'm waiting paitently tho. Have about 9 plants at diff growing stages.

Comment

Blimey nine plants !! courgette soup then ? at least they love the rain and there is plenty of that here !!

Comment

Originally posted by beaufontboy View Post
                  Blimey nine plants !! courgette soup then ? at least they love the rain and there is plenty of that here !!

If i had more space i'd have more, i'm a vegan so use them a lot in my cooking.

Comment

How is the best way to harvest them when they are ready I am a newbie and never grown or eaten them before is a sharp knife the best way? Or brake them off.

Comment

I am a newbie gardener myself but I used a knife last year with no problems. One tip I heard from one of the TV gardeners (Monty Don?) was if you don't need a whole cucumber, cut half the fruit off and leave the rest on. It seals itself and keeps fresh. Don't know if that is true but it makes sense

Comment

i have a few male flowers and i think a layddeee flower. the male stems are all long and thin and green but the layddeee is yellow and fatter that the others.

is this right??

Tracy
                        www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

Abby, they'll need a sharp knife. The plant can be a bit spiny.
                          I've also some some lil juicy ones on the way which are almost ready to pick and devour

Comment

Last year I had three plants and had a glut made loads of chutney, soup and courgette and chocolate cake. This year I have six plants, three green bush and three yellow as well as three marrow plants lol. I was given the book 'What to do with all those courgettes '
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

I think I'm going to need that. I've got three 'green bush' plants, already about 6-8 courgettes on each plant, another 6 yellow courgette plants 'Atena', a little bit behind, but starting to flower, and 4 scallop (patty pan) squashes. Oh and a marrow.

Hoping I should have a lot of courgettes this year!

Don't even get me started on the winter squashes, I've got no idea where I'm going to fit them all in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X