growing purple sprouting broccoli

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing purple sprouting broccoli

Hello everyone, I have just registered today so im abit unsure as to what to do, so if this is the wrong place for my question then I apologise.

I planted some purple sprouting broccoli in my garden on the veg patch a week or so ago, I started it of from seed in my conservatory then planted it out when it reached about 10cm tall and its not doing very well at all, so I was wondering if there are any tips that can help liven it up. Did i do some thing wrong? as i am very new at this.

I also have the broccoli seeds that came free with junes addition of the GYO magazine, can i plant these in pots as i dont have any space in my garden to grow it?

Greenwitch
    xxx

Welcome to the Vine greenwitch (are you named after the Susan Cooper book? One of my faves )

PSB is generally a slow growing plant, is there anything particularly wrong with yours, or is it just not growing very fast?

The seeds whitch came with GYO will probably be ok in pots, but you might not get many to a pot. Depends on size of pot of course, but a flower bucket sized pot would probably only take one plant. You'd get a few cuttings from each one though, I think.

Comment

Hi Sarah,

My name i have been called a witch from time to time due to me growing herbs and things in my garden and making alot of my own remadies and things so when thinking of a user name i thought this one would work well.

As for my broccolli, well it looks sad, its not done anything since i planted it out, it doesnt look completly dead either just abit un happy.

Think i will try a a couple in a pot see how they go.

Thanks for your help.

Greenwitch
      xxx

Comment

Did you harden it off, or did you plunge it from a nice warm conservatory straight into cold, dank Yorkshire soil?
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi and welcome! Also make sure your soil is really firmed down around each plant or they'll uproot and keel over. Remember To net them when they're bigger too.

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Greenwitch.

PSB can be slow to start with. I plant it in a pot so that the ground can be used for something else then once cleared plant the PSB which does get big in the end.

I think the only thing you've done wrong is run out of patience and expect it to get big immediately. You're not going to eat it until next March - so be patient.

If you've allocated a big space to it you could plant the free broc seeds in there as they will be eaten before the PSB needs that space. Well, that's what I'm doing.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks people,

I did harden it of first for a week or so it just looks limp, the small plants are just bent over onto the soil, looking very sorry for them selfs.

Greenwitch
              xxx

Comment

not going to get to eat it until next year? how long does it take to grow? We planted some for the 1st time late march/early april... it seemed to do nothing for ages then had a bit of a growth spurt & has slowed down again now

Comment

my PSB

I planted some psb out in April and it is already producing the purple sprouting bits and they are really tasty. After reading that they will flower in march, how long will mine keep producing for.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    I plant it in a pot so that the ground can be used for something else then once cleared plant the PSB
                    I haven't grown any because I'm out of space, but I could do this. Do I still have time?
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Mr B, I'm sure I've sown mine as late as this before. Mine always sprout in late autumn for some reason. The snow killed it last year though. Big waste of time. Greenwitch, why not put a photo up. Someone might be able to figure it out.

Comment

Limp and floppy sounds like lack of water. Did you puddle them in?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                          I haven't grown any because I'm out of space, but I could do this. Do I still have time?
                          Mine are in modules - and I'm testing some via a plug plant trainer thingy too.. the type I'm growing is an extra early variety though, so usually get some around dec/jan (was nice in xmas dinner last year!)

Comment

My summer purple is still in 6" pots, will pot it on soon into Morrison buckets and then finally into dustbins when the second earlies are harvested.

Last year I started my harvest in late Oct and it ran through to Jan and very nice it was to.

Colin
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I feed my PSB and all my Brassicas with Nitro Chalk, did you check the soil it could need some garden lime if you've had hos muck on it..
                              Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                              Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                              -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X