bah! the weather and my tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bah! the weather and my tomatoes

I left the greenhouse shut yesterday morning as the weather predicted a day of heavy showers.

But of course, had a day of sunshine and my plants were wilted when I go home

I watered them last night and again this morning, will they perk up again? I've grown all 33 plants from seed and don't really want to have to go and buy plants now.

No sunshine now that I've the greenhouse vent open this morning. The weather is driving me nuts.

I leave my greenhouse door open everyday even if its raining! If its raining heavy I just leave the door down so air can still get in. Mine's plastic but even on the old glass one I always left the door open

Comment

I'm sure they'll be fine...just make sure you don't overwater them now!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They usually buck up within 24 hours after wilting from the heat. Ask me how I know!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hey guys -I a due to go away for 3 day tomorrow and have a 4 tier small unheated plastic covered green house. The weather forescast for Reading is 16 and sunny during the day and ranging between 6-9 degree at night. What can I do to make sure my seedlings r protected at night and don't wilt in heat during the day? Do I leave the sides unzipped but not rolled up or zipped on one side and the other side unzipped? or any other suggestions?
          cheers Reks

Comment

Reks....bring them indoors to a cool bright room?????????
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Reks : i have exactly the same problem....going away for a week and the weather is totally unpredictable...i'm going to put my seedlings in my plastic tent with the plastic flap up but the net part down so they will get some moisture but be protected from heat/cold and only leave the new seeds (ones that havent come up yet) in the mini greenhouse.I have new seeds sitting outside and its so wet that the little pots are totally saturated - i have also lost small tomato seedlings to heat in the mini greenhouse!If i were you i'd do the one side open one side closed bit but make certain that it wont get blown over bu the wind!!
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

mini greenhouses like the ones we have might be mini but boy can they go maxi on the heat front! flipping heck

i think the ideas so far are good. i've left the flap open if i've gone out for a good long while and it's predicted sunny. the wilting thing is devastating isn't it?
                Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
                Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
                  mini greenhouses like the ones we have might be mini but boy can they go maxi on the heat front! flipping heck

i think the ideas so far are good. i've left the flap open if i've gone out for a good long while and it's predicted sunny. the wilting thing is devastating isn't it?
                  They do get hot as I found out (I'm a complete beginner!) I bought a mini plastic greenhouse to harden off my lovely cabbage and calabrese seedlings, they looked very healthy (beginners luck I'm sure) I zipped the front down to keep them safe and when I returned a few hours later they had all been scorched!! Many of the leaves died It ruined my day. That was 3 wks ago and they haven't grown much since then, now I'm too scared to try again! How am I going to harden them off without killing them?!

Comment

thanks all. keeping all my fingers crossed that they'll look better when i go home tonight.

at least I know to keep the greenhouse open all day now no matter what the weather report says

Comment

Originally posted by Squizz View Post
                      They do get hot as I found out (I'm a complete beginner!) I bought a mini plastic greenhouse to harden off my lovely cabbage and calabrese seedlings, they looked very healthy (beginners luck I'm sure) I zipped the front down to keep them safe and when I returned a few hours later they had all been scorched!! Many of the leaves died It ruined my day. That was 3 wks ago and they haven't grown much since then, now I'm too scared to try again! How am I going to harden them off without killing them?!
                      I don't have any kind of greenhouse, or coldframe, so to harden off they go outside on the steps all day and inside at night. It's worked so far!
                      http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanx for all the responses, I am going to leave one side zip open and other closed, and leave some water in the pot trays so my peat pots dont dry off completely. All my bean and tomato plants for this year r in there and I hope they stay good. I have some marigolds, gazania, corn (just sprouted) and peas (in gutter just sprouted) and basil that currently are indoors near my patio doors that get no sun but is well lit, so will leave them there. I don't have any heating indoors...Can u see any flaw in my plan?
                        cheers Reks

Comment

I ask my lovely neighbour or my mum who isn't too far away to check for me

Comment

they still aren't looking too great.can someone look at them and tell me if they are likely to survive?

very depressed now. all of them are like that.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bramble_killer; 30-04-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

They should recover with a bit of tlc i have seen worse....jacob
                              What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                              Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X