DEFRA restrictions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFRA restrictions

Currently the DEFRA is doing the UK's struggling agriculture sector a huge dis-service, as there are many opportunities in the UK to produce the likes of OP/Heirloom cabbage, turnip, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, peas, short day onions, chives and other seeds. The UK should be the world leader in these types of seed, but DEFRA and those who pull their strings are making it far too difficult. Of course, one look at the average ASDA or Sainsburys produce aisle will tell you that, since over 98% of the produce consumed in the UK is actually grown elsewhere.
    However originally, they had every intention of illegalizing non PVP seeds (ie. non patented, hybrid varieties, which would have essentially made it illegal in the UK to possess ANY seed not produced by a Global Seed Corp.) after they bent for some of the Multi-National Companies. Essentially, this is the same rubbish this handful of companies are pulling elsewhere, most recently in Iraq after it became occupied by the US and UK. Since then, these new seed laws have all but destroyed Iraq's agricultural heritage. They also had (still have) this plan in mind for the UK, EU and the US, which basically means that even a variety like say Harbinger, which has been bred in the UK for 120 years, would effectively become illegal to possess. But, after a reporter at The Guardian exposed the story (and interviewed me in the process), the public outcry was so severe and DEFRA quickly backed down on the issue of vegetable, herb and flower seed. One area where they have remained heavy handed is with grass seed. In this case, they have fined some very small companies up to 5000 quid for selling non PVP grass seed. There was no outrage over that simply because the backyard gardener doesn't care too much about what type of grass he can have in his lawn. The intention of course, is to squash these companies, because the Multi-Nationals want a monopoly in this industry.

Obviously, after we were publicly critical of DEFRA in The Guardian, they made it a point to pay a lot of attention to us in the UK office.
    We are currently talking to a solicitor about getting these rules and regulations changed in the UK but this is a big task and could take years to happen
    hope this makes sense to everyone
    I will keep everone informed
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%

Adam
    Having worked in the agricultural sector on and off for the last thirty odd years, and currently researching setting up a market garden, I know exactly how you feel about DEFRA. To say that as a Department, they are at best inept, would be a considerable understatement - the Single Farm Payment debacle springs to mind immediately.
    Going back to your own specific bones of contention, I believe that it is absolutely vital that heirloom and heritage varieties of various vegetables are kept going - an opinion that seems to be shared by most vegetable growers, professional and domestic alike. If DEFRA outlaws these varieties, we will all end up eating and growing varieties which may have been genetically modified to increase yield, improve disease or drought reisitance, at the expense of taste.
    This is definitely a case of Big Brother and the Nanny State going one step too far.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Many of the varietys i sell are illigal for us to grow to save the seeds to sell due to the defra, all our seeds have to be imported from other countries every year.

Comment

Maybe we should start an underground seed swapping movement
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm all for buying illegal seeds! Up the revolution....big fat raspberries to DEFRA & their silly big company bum-licky laws!! (My OH used to work for one of the big companies!)
          Last edited by Sunbeam; 05-08-2006, 06:09 PM.
          How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

My seeds are not ilegal to be imported or be sold in the UK they just stop us growing theses for seeeds for seed repoduction and sale, i am not starting growing these seeds for sale, have you seen the fines. Sunbeam which company did your husband work for?
            This is why some of the seeds we sell are the only seeds in the Uk for example we have tomato rostova seeds and these are the first seeds of this variety that have been imported into the UK and they are very rare

Comment

I do think it is such a shame that we have lost so many of the lovely variety of vegetables that used to be grown in this country and to hear that we are about to lose more is an outrage! Good luck with your fight with Defra SFS!

And if there is going to be an underground seed swapping movement count me in!

Comment

I will try my best to change these laws but the DEFRA are already quite annoyed with me already about preveous events. If these laws were changed would they be seaching our trial ground perminatly and mark our seeds as not suitable for sale?

Comment

That is always the risk when you take on the big chaps isn't it! Once they have you in their sights they just won't go away. And it always seems to be the little guys that they go for. I cannot help but wonder, just how much money is going from the big chaps into someone's pockets to keep the little chaps out!

Comment

The real seed company and the HDRA heritage seed business get around it by charging for the growing instructions and giving the seeds away free. With the Real Seed Company you pay 1p of your order to join their club. It isnt illegal save them or grow them just to sell them, but like all laws this arse government passes, there are loopholes you can fly hijacked Afgan planes through.

Comment

Hello S for S, Gee whiz, I don't know anything about this. If it all means what I think it means then I am with you. Can you post in smaller bites so that we can all get our heads round it, or provide a link where we can read more. It all sounds like something we should be concerned about.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Alice i know this very complicated so i will try explain it better

the DEFRA will noy allow farmers and seed companys to grow heirloom plants for seed repoduction for sale

This mainly concerns OP/Heirloom seeds such as cabbage, turnip, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, peas, short day onions, chives and some other seeds, the Uk should be the world leaders in saving these heirloom seeds

Unfortunatly the DEFRA will not allow heirloom vegetables to be grown for seed repoduction (growing plants for seeds)

At the moment all Heirloom and most rare seeds have to be imported from abroad, many seeds companys do not so the likes of many of seeds that i sell are becoming extreamly rare within the UK and for some of these seeds i am the only seller of these within the UK

Of course, one look at the average ASDA or Sainsburys produce aisle will tell you that, since over 98% of the produce consumed in the UK is actually grown elsewhere due to the help of the DEFRA.

originally, they had every intention of illegalizing non hybrid seeds , which would have essentially made it illegal in the UK to possess ANY seed not produced by a Global Seed Corp.

They also had (still have) this plan in mind for the UK, EU and the US, which basically means that even a variety like say Harbinger, which has been bred in the UK for 120 years, would effectively become illegal to possess. But, after a reporter at The Guardian exposed the story (and interviewed me in the process)

the public outcry was so severe and DEFRA quickly backed down on the issue of vegetable, herb and flower seed.

Obviously, after we were publicly critical of DEFRA in The Guardian, they made it a point to pay a lot of attention to us in the UK office.

Hope you understand this as i can tell you it is a very very complicated feild.

Comment

SFS, I had absolutly no idea this was happening. Blimey!

What do they say are their reasons for making these rules?
                          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Shortie, not many people know about it, thats why I thought i should post a thread about it on here.
                            The reasons are to protect the UK gardens and gardeners. I don't understand how they work it out though.
                            As rat said we will all end up eating and growing varieties which may have been genetically modified to increase yield, improve disease or drought reisitance, at the expense of taste.

Comment

It sounds nutty. How do they think it will protect us gardeners....

Like I'm sure many of the grapes on here, I personally would rather have (a) the option to buy what I want from whoever wants to supply it (and I would always support British suppliers given the choice) and (b) the varieties around kept going, even if they tasted awful etc so that the are at least kept (if that makes any sense.

SFS, is there anything us 'Joe Public' can do?
                              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X