Somethings eating my aubergines!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somethings eating my aubergines!

Help please! Something in the garden is eating my aubergines in my poly tunnel. Its not slugs (I think) as the leaves have serrated and irregular chunks out of them (those that are left!) and there is no evidence of slime etc. I think it may be birds? What can I do as its too warm now to leave the door shut?
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Maybe you could put some netting over them, if it is birds, that should stop them. Put a few canes around them, stick some plastic bottles over the canes, then throw some netting over that. Just make sure that the netting is tied down well so none can get underneath, for their sake as well as the aubergines. Good luck.
    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

are you sure its not slugs or snails. A couple of years ago, I grew a beautiful aubergine, all shiny and and plump. I turned it around and found a great big fat snail munching the side i couldn't see. It had virtually hollowed it out. i cried a bit.
      We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
      Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Would not have thought it would be birds in a poly tunnel. Have a real good look as it sounds a bit like a caterpillar, slugs go for any part of the leaf but caterpillars always eat from the leaf edge inwards.

Ian

Comment

Cant find any evidence of slugs or caterpillers. My neighbour said he saw sparrows going in, so Ive rigged up a net in the doorway
          A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
          There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Leaf Cutter bees?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I caught some birds sneaking under my cloche. Not sure if they are partial to aubergines though !

Comment

brooky - from your post, I'm reading that it's the foliage that's being attacked, rather than forming fruit? There's Capsid Bugs who make irregular holes in the leaves, and personally, they drive me NUTS every year. Could that be the cause do you think?
                If so, I'm game for any advice like wot you are....
                Pinkies crossed for a successful year for us all, eh?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X