How long for carrots to appear?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for carrots to appear?

My first lot of carrots disappeared - no trace of them anywhere. I sowed some more, this time in more compost than soil and covered with fleece.

Date was 6th April.
    No sign of these either - I can't believe they have all vanished again! (maybe we have a carrot fairy round here somewhere!)

When should I see signs?

Have put some in a couple of pots to see if they come up too, but that was only yesterday so not expecting anythign from those for a while.

Thanks janeyo

Hi,

My first sowing was about the 1st April, just poping through now. Don't panic still cold outside and I think they are just taking there time.

Mandy

Comment

hi janeyo mine just through,the ground still a bit cold keep the fleece on & hope for the best.plenty time to put more in yet but can take month to show

Comment

I had this all last year ... loads of (repeat) sowings, but no carrots. I think the slugs were grazing them off as they appeared. I have sown some in loo rolls and they've all come up nicely, so I know the seed is viable.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've just had two lots come up this week (Amsterdam forcing & Topweight) one in 9 days the other in 12 days. My ground is a lot warmer than what I expect yours is, so don't give up on them. My seed packet states germination 10 - 21 days, so fingers crossed you get yours pop up soon.
          I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about mine carrot seeds. Been in for just under two weeks and still no show. Hopefully in the next week they will show up for the party.
            BW
            James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

oooh a party, can I come?!

j

Comment

took 3 weeks for my parmex to show,i sowed some early nantes in my raised beds and they have took three weeks to show.but my onions have not shown yet and i sown then at the same time is this normal?
                Last edited by JO,JO; 20-04-2008, 08:47 AM.
                joanne geldard

Comment

I put some early Nantes in a raised bed too. They took pretty much a month to come through, mainly because I planted them too early and the ground was still quite cold. I was starting to think they'd rotted, until I saw a few poking through.
                  Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                  I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Are carrots as bad as their 'cousins' the parsnips then when it comes to germination, or do we think it's just a bit early and cold yet?
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Until recently it's been too early and cold.

They usually germinate well and within 10 days.

Comment

I agree with Cute; sow some more in a month and they will probably catch up or overtake the earlies.

Comment

hi i hope you dont mind me contacting you but iseem to be having the same problem i have loads of leaves but no sigh of carrots i have planted them in my gh in very large deep pots packet says ready early june/july should i be seeing anything yet i pulled one up over the weekend and it looked like weeds all root and leaves ,what am i doing wrong!

Comment

Connie; when did you sow them?

When you pulled them, did they have a carroty coloured little rootlet at all? Did they smell of carrot?

It's just possible that they need a few more weeks. Or they are not carrots at all.
                            Last edited by zazen999; 19-05-2008, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Overwatering and feeding will make carrots put on all top and no bottom.

But anyway, if they're going to be ready in July they've got two months growing still to do! That's a long time, so don't panic yet.

I would personally take them out of the greenhouse - they don't need to be in there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X