Bush Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Tomatoes

Last year all our bush toms grew absolutely huge, taking over and blotting out the sun from other veg. What I would like to know is this; is it OK to pinch out some of the sideshoots in order to stop them spreading so much ?
    Thanks in advance.

Could you not grow them in pots? At least you can move them around. Then there are smaller bush variety of tomatoes. What variety toms were they? From what I heard, bush toms don't need side shoot pinching unless someone can correct me there.
    Food for Free

Comment

You are right Veg, Bush(determinant) toms don't need shoots removing.

Would you consider growing other small bush type which is easier to handle Veggieginger ?
      plus with smaller bush, you can just grow them in pots and it will not cast any shade to other vegetable you are growing.
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by veggieginger View Post
        Last year all our bush toms grew absolutely huge, taking over and blotting out the sun from other veg. What I would like to know is this; is it OK to pinch out some of the sideshoots in order to stop them spreading so much ?
        Thanks in advance.
        You can reduce the height by taking out the growing tip although this will encourage it to bush more.

Comment

I know they don't need sideshooting. I want to know what, if any problems may accrue by doing some.

Comment

May I point out that this thread was made by me, not veggieginger, before I realised that I could create my own account using the same ISP. I'm veggieginger's OH, BTW.
            Last edited by Rocketron; 20-02-2008, 09:11 PM.
            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Hi Rocketron, all I can say is when we accidently treated a bush tomato as a cordon it affected/lessened the amount of tomatoes grown. Why not grow cordon toms then?
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 20-02-2008, 09:53 PM.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

You can cut off any side-shoots you fancy to reduce the size of the plant. It will still grow, and you will have to keep cutting it back, but you will inevitably reduce the crop because they produce on side-shoots, not just off the main stem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                  You can cut off any side-shoots you fancy to reduce the size of the plant. It will still grow, and you will have to keep cutting it back, but you will inevitably reduce the crop because they produce on side-shoots, not just off the main stem.
                  I read about it too. As they are program to grow to certain height and at certain leaf axil they bear their fruit. If you happen to cut too much, you are actually removing the future flowers.

Comment

They can be monster plants, so I do sympathise - the giants like Big Boy and Super Marmande are hard to control and support. They do prefer to be left to their own devices - that's when they seem to produce their best crops.

Comment

Best option will be choosing the smaller bush . This way you won't have extra problems with it's size. My last year Marmanda reach to 1 meter (no kidding !).
                      It is a bit too tall for a bush (for me) but again some other bush type grow even taller than that. If I grow it again, it will be in pot fo sure.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Having re-read the seed packets I have seen my stupid mistake. Indeterminate = cordon, not bush !
                        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                          Best option will be choosing the smaller bush . This way you won't have extra problems with it's size. My last year Marmanda reach to 1 meter (no kidding !).
                          So did your tomato crop match with the size of the bush? Does that mean it's safer to grow vine tomatoes in the ground and if they have to be bush then go for compact bush variety. So all non-compact bush tomatoes should ideally be grown in pots...but I'm wondering what effect this has on tomato yield.

EDIT - Totally confused now but it doesn't matter!
                          Last edited by veg4681; 21-02-2008, 03:29 PM.
                          Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron
                            Thanks for all your replies. Having re-read the seed packets I have seen my stupid mistake. Indeterminate = cordon, not bush !
                            Lol! In which case, then yes its okay to take out the sideshoots!
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

So did your tomato crop match with the size of the bush? Does that mean it's safer to grow vine tomatoes in the ground and if they have to be bush then go for compact bush variety. So all non-compact bush tomatoes should ideally be grown in pots...
                              Wha? How did you come to that conclusion??

Any tomato can be grown in the ground or pot.

I would avoid using the term "bush" - there are big bushes and small bushes (can't believe I wrote that ).

Tomatoes are either determinate or indeterminate in nature. Within the determinate subset, there are dwarf, tumbling and large sprawling types.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X