Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Peppers - was it too early?

Hi Grapes,

I attempted to sow sweet peppers (kaibi round 2 and orange bell - which both say "early" on the packet) on 20th Jan in an unheated propogator in an unheated greenhouse because I couldn't wait to get started..... to date nothing has happened.

I put some broccolli and cauliflower in the same greenhouse on 3rd February and a few of each have already germinated.

Do you think my peppers should be thrown out? was it too early and they are slowly rotting away rather than germinating?

PJH
    pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

What was the germination temp indicated on the pkt? I'd have thought that they might have germinated if you'd kept them indoors?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      I'd have thought that they might have germinated if you'd kept them indoors?
      Yes, why not bring them into the warmth. They still might germinate in the greenhouse but you will raise their chances if they are brought in.

Comment

I planted mine several weeks ago in a warm place and they are all up. Sounds like yours need a bit more warmth. Peppers originally come from a warm country.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I would definitely start them off indoors and possibly even in a heated propagator but even then they're testing my patience big time. People talk of these pepper seeds germinating within a week, well it ain't happening to me though . However they can take quite a while to germinate (so does Aubergine) and to leave in greenhouse is the least chance you can give them for successful germination at this time of the year.
          Last edited by veg4681; 15-02-2008, 09:15 PM.
          Food for Free

Comment

So all is not lost then... yet. I'll bring them in and see what happens. I'll also check the instructions on the packet re: temperature required to germinate - maybe I should have done that earlier... you live & learn.

PJH
            pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

To echo everyone else PJH, all is not lost. I did roughly the same thing, after a couple of weeks there had been no sign of life, moved them indoors to the kitchen windowsill and they are now healthy young things.
              Outside in January is no good for peppers in northern Europe, its just tooooo cold.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X