Covering up your plot for winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering up your plot for winter

Probably covered before but thought it worth repeating.

As the growing season for many of us will be coming to an end (until next spring), to avoid bare earth becoming a breeding ground for weeds it's worth covering the soil with plastic sheeting.

I'm using damp proof membrane which can be bought in various sizes and grades from places such as Screwfix. I recognise that it's a cost, but ultimately a great time-saver. The sheeting should last several years, and keeps the soil warm and weed free.

I find it more effective than the woven weed membrane which doesn't appear to be as UV resistant and perishes more quickly.

I weigh it down with old car tyres (which do the job and are soft edged, so won't rip the plastic).

The only down side is that the local fox likes to come and lie on it, and I hate the thought I'm doing anything which gives him comfort of any description!

Originally posted by ldsau93 View Post
    Probably covered before but thought it worth repeating.

As the growing season for many of us will be coming to an end (until next spring), to avoid bare earth becoming a breeding ground for weeds it's worth covering the soil with plastic sheeting.

I'm using damp proof membrane which can be bought in various sizes and grades from places such as Screwfix. I recognise that it's a cost, but ultimately a great time-saver. The sheeting should last several years, and keeps the soil warm and weed free.

I find it more effective than the woven weed membrane which doesn't appear to be as UV resistant and perishes more quickly.

I weigh it down with old car tyres (which do the job and are soft edged, so won't rip the plastic).

The only down side is that the local fox likes to come and lie on it, and I hate the thought I'm doing anything which gives him comfort of any description!
    Make sure it is UV stabilized. Many will not as it is designed to be in the dark / covered.

Comment

I use the woven kind of weed control fabric, (Yuzet) and I'm still using some that is 6 year's old, so don't think it perishes quickly at all. Perhaps the cheap bonded ones, similar to fleece, do perish quickly - but I've never used those.

Damp proof membrane as the name implies, will stop winter rain getting into the soil; I hate to think how dry my plot would have been this summer, had it not absorbed all the rain it could last winter.

As an aside, old tyres aren't allowed on many allotment sites any more, so check site rules before you think about using them.

Comment

I use a thick mulch of Autumn leaves, or cardboard.
        He-Pep!

Comment

Most of my beds will have crops in overwinter but I do empty my daleks or add leaf mould on any bare areas.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Cover Up 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	2380768

I grow through weed membrane with holes formed in them and then at the end of the year I cover up the beds that are not growing green manure with sheets without any holes to reduce the spread of weeds. Some beds may get a layer of leafs and then get covered up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Cover up 02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	2380769

The photographs were taken in February this year when I was sorting out the paths and laying weed membrane under the paving slabs and woodchips ready for the growing season. I love the plot when its all covered up and ready for sleep over the winter months.
            Last edited by Cadalot; 18-09-2018, 03:32 PM.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Yes, fair point re tyres. For the moisture, we have VERY heavy clay soil and the rain that falls on the area adjacent to the covered area seems to permeate through.

You've been luckier than me with your woven membrane, I inherited a roll of it and it lasted 2-3 years maximum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X