How cold for garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cold for garlic

I’m planning to try autumn garlic this year. I know it needs a cold snap to get it to split into individual cloves. Had been wondering whether to hedge my bets and plant some direct in the beds and start some in my in heated greenhouse in case the outside ones get eaten or rot. But how low does the temp need to go to encourage the individual cloves? It does certainly go below zero in my greenhouse over the winter. If i then plant out would it be best around March say?

I'd still grow them outdoors but somewhere out of heavy rain - it's the rain that sometimes spoils them I find. I often start mine in pots on the dryside of the hedge and then they go into the soil as soon as any laying snow has gone.

Comment

I tend to plant them on a bit of a raised bed just to keep them from sitting in the wet,

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I actually get very waterlogged soil though Bramble has a point - plant them on the high bit but I’ve never had a problem with them rotting. Mice have never eaten them either which is a bonus

Personally I would just plant straight out.
        Last edited by Scarlet; 21-08-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
          how low does the temp need to go to encourage the individual cloves?
          As far as I know it needs 20 consecutive days at 10 Celsius or less
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
            As far as I know it needs 20 consecutive days at 10 Celsius or less
            How do they grow it in Greece and Spain then? *puzzled*

Comment

^Depends on the area. Some parts of Spain are extremely cold. Last winter was quite mild here, but we usually hit minus 9 ºC by the end of November and our usual lows in January and February are minus 12 ºC. Inland and mountainous parts of Spain will be even colder.

I don't suppose they grow garlic in the greenhouses down south!

Comment

Suppose the other option is to put them in my cold frame and shut it sometimes if it is particularly wet. I just have raised beds so that would be the option otherwise.

Comment

Lots of people do what Thelma Sanders does: start off in pots and then plant out later on. I've done it and kept the pots in a cold frame with great success.

Comment

Well I didn't know it needed a cold spell but I've grown autumn planted garlic for several years now. usually just plant is straight out where I want it to grow as that is the least work. Last year, I had some winter squash still ripening where I wanted to plant it so I planted it in pots with the tip just poking out as they put down long roots. I planted them out as soon as the squash had ripened, probably mid November here. All had good roots any many were up to 4" tall. I don't think the time is critical but I like it to have developed a good root system before winter sets in.

Comment

Well am probably being overly cautious but think I’ll try planing some in the raised bed and some in the cold frame. Certainly don’t think I’ll have a problem hitting those cold temps here. Had a disappointing first try of garlic a few years ago but I’m more experienced now and have you lovely experts to keep me right so feeling quite confident.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                        Suppose the other option is to put them in my cold frame and shut it sometimes if it is particularly wet. I just have raised beds so that would be the option otherwise.
                        I grew giant garlic in my GH once, just a few cloves as I wanted to save them for the following years planting. They grew very well, huge bulbs and were ready slightly earlier. So if you have room indoors and that’s the way you want to grow it just go for it.
                        You could always do some trials for both ways and see how they go for future years

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X