Over Wintered Onions and Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Wintered Onions and Garlic

As relative "newbies" we grew Onions "Radar" and "Electric" over winter, as well as some garlic. I have posted photos of the first onions lifted, plus our garlic. The onions are up to 8cm diameter and about 7-8 ounces in weight. Seems OK to us, but we have no previous to compare them with. We also got 20 out of 24 garlic planted. Enjoy the weather, comments always welcome!Click image for larger version

Name:	veg1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	622.8 KB
ID:	2406418Click image for larger version

Name:	veg2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	2406419

Seems ok to me, I grow my onions from seed, sown on boxing day, so nowhere near ready yet, haven't grown garlic as the chef doesn't use it.

Comment

lovely photos, the onions look great, mine are not ready yet, your garlic looks happy too

Comment

They look really good! You enjoy the weather too with all your new ingredients Those are very good sizes of red onion,I only grow red but they’re never that big,excellent growing!

Comment

Look good. Far better than mine.

(sings to self "We're gonna hang out the onions on the Siegfried line cause today is onion day")

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

They look great, freefolk. I don't grow reds anymore as they seem to come out of the ground the same size as they went in - so you should be well pleased with yours.
            I lifted mine a few days ago, when the tops had fallen over and shrivelled. They're in an 1kea hanging toy storage thingy, the net ones with 4 pockets, in the GH.

Comment

I'd be 'well chuffed' if they were mine

I grew onions from seed for the first time last year, they were onion globo as I wanted a mild onion for salads. I took them up at the end of July and I have to say I used the last one in Jan2018, even though they aren't meant to keep.

This year I have 2 different types of sets and 3 different types of seed. All are still alive in the ground - so far -

Comment

Thank you all for your kind comments. They were simply grown in well rotted manure, watered and fed as necessary. Will apply the same formula next winter!

Comment

Originally posted by freefolk View Post
                  As relative "newbies" we grew Onions "Radar" and "Electric" over winter, as well as some garlic. I have posted photos of the first onions lifted, plus our garlic. The onions are up to 8cm diameter and about 7-8 ounces in weight. Seems OK to us, but we have no previous to compare them with. We also got 20 out of 24 garlic planted. Enjoy the weather, comments always welcome![ATTACH=CONFIG]81221[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81222[/ATTACH]
                  Those look very good, and are certainly far better than anything I've managed this year.

If I may make one observation, I think you might have been better leaving them in the ground for a few more weeks. When I have succeeded in growing a few decent onions, they have always stored better if the leaves had turned a straw brown colour, before they were lifted.

Comment

The leaves go dry like straw when they’re drying out on the tray,when they’re dry I cut them off but some people leave a little length to tie them,i think there’s a thread somewhere about tying onions.

Comment

Looks great.

I was going to post a similar thread but I'll post my question here:

I planted some garlic bulbs in October. They were from supermarket garlic. The wife dug one up today and found it was ready. She showed me a pic of it whilst I was at work - there was no outer skin - just some cloves that looked like they were ready to separate out.

Too long in the ground?
                      Just the type of garlic?
                      Or something else?

Comment

Monkeyboy - probably too long in the ground.As the leaves die back the wrappers start to deteriorate and the cloves start to split.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Excellent. I'd be chuffed with those as well

Comment

I'd be very happy with them onions and garlic too! I don't grow onion, as I just don't have the room, but I wish I'd planted some garlic! You just can't beat fresh garlic Well done!
                            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X