Modular growing onion sets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular growing onion sets

Greetings from sunny (but VERY COLD Hampshire!) I have read that onion sets can be started off in 2" modular trays, to give them a head start before planting out late March time. Has anyone done this, or have any views on pros and cons of doing it? Grateful for any views. Have a nice weekend everyone.

It's a useful method if your soil is too cold or wet at planting time and you have a greenhouse or coldframe for a bit of warmth/protection. However, with the forecasts for the next few weeks, unless you have a frost-free greenhouse, I don't think they'd start growing any quicker

Comment

Have an empty spare bedroom upstairs, where I can start seeds in trays etc. I will do them in there.

Comment

Onions are very hardy, once they get going - start them off as you say in the warm somewhere, put them out in a cold greenhouse or similar for a few weeks to grow on, but then get them in the ground at any time when it is not solid with frost - you can always put down some plastic on the ground a week or so before planting to warm it up a bit, if the weather looks cold then.

Comment

I have had plastic sheets on my raised beds for 10 days already, and also raked in some fish/blood/bone mix. Everything about ready, but the ground like concrete again these next few days!

Comment

Originally posted by freefolk View Post
            I have had plastic sheets on my raised beds for 10 days already, and also raked in some fish/blood/bone mix. Everything about ready, but the ground like concrete again these next few days!
            I was hopping for some concrete to kill off some of the slug eggs I've just uncovered. So far - sun all the way

Comment

i always start mine off in modules,or in a tray side by side,the tray you get more in,the moduls are easier to plant em out,you can use smaller size moduls,juat as long as the have contact with some compost ext,and watered,they will send down roots,my advice would be to water from the bottom,until they are planted out,after they been hardened off.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X