Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carrots inbetween spuds, anyone tried it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots inbetween spuds, anyone tried it?

Good morning all

I came up with a novel idea, did search before posting but couldn't find similar (might be but im rubbish at searching)

When I put my spuds in I left a slightly bigger gap between them than most would, this was mainly due to inexperience and rushing to get them in, so when I earthed them up I had a Eureka moment and saw the space between them thats around 18" deep and thought about putting carrots down there and take them out the same time I crop the spuds, this should see me taking tasty small/baby carrots at the same time im getting spuds and no space wasted... AND I was thinking it may also help keep the carrot fly at bay because they are so low down between the spuds and also the foliage of the spuds is higher again, has anyone tried and failed? tried and had success? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.. you may think its a bonkers idea but I had to give it a try

Cheers
    Damian

I haven't tried it. But...

1) Potato plants get pretty big. You haven't said how far apart the rows are but I'd be surprised if the carrot seedlings don't get overshadowed and fail to grow;
    2) There may not be enough time to make even baby carrots before they are disturbed by you lifting the potatoes.

But there's no substitute for actual experience, you could try it and let us all know how it goes?
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I will keep you posted.. the rows go in the right direction of the sun going over the plot so should see some sun through the day even if shaded out by the spud plant a bit.. if I went the opposite way then it would have been a lot tougher to get light through.. carrots crop in around 50-80 days and I was thinking of leaving my spuds in for 90-100 days so I think I should see baby carrots in around 40 days but worked out the timing for roughly 45 -50 days, there is a lovely fine tilth even at that depth so should be at least 6-8" more fluffy soil underneath for them to play with.
      if it does flop fantastically as it may well do lol then I have only lost a couple of quid in seed so nothing ventured nothing gained etc
      Last edited by damian1225; 29-05-2017, 07:37 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
        I haven't tried it. But...

1) Potato plants get pretty big. You haven't said how far apart the rows are but I'd be surprised if the carrot seedlings don't get overshadowed and fail to grow;
        Good advice! There's usually a valid reason why people don't regularly do something that looks like 'a good idea' The only thing that seems to work in this situation for me, is to plant some lettuce seedlings, they are usually big enough to cut before the potato haulm gets too big.

Good luck with your experiment, though, Damian

Comment

Sounds a great experiment Damien, hope it works out ok
          Nannys make memories

Comment

I wouldn't dream of saying it was a bonkers idea Why don't you try a different variety of carrot between each row to see which is the best.........................or. a completely different vegetable in each row. Carrots, lettuce, spring onions ..........or let courgettes wander through your spuds?
            If you want to go bonkers, it should be really bonkers

Comment

Gods help us VC is hatching another plan !!!!

Comment

How did you guess. SP?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  I wouldn't dream of saying it was a bonkers idea Why don't you try a different variety of carrot between each row to see which is the best.........................or. a completely different vegetable in each row. Carrots, lettuce, spring onions ..........or let courgettes wander through your spuds?
                  If you want to go bonkers, it should be really bonkers
                  What like spuds between the spuds? :O

my main thinking behind carrots was to try and combat carrot fly.. thought this might be a cheeky way to get around itas most people use raised beds, so I went the opposite way and thought maybe sunken beds could possibly work.. or not

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X