Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carrots after onions - add chicken pellets or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots after onions - add chicken pellets or not?

Having lifted the onions from the 'roots' bed at the Hill at the weekend, I want to put in a few rows of late carrots.

Should I give the soil a boost by hoeing in some chicken pellets, or will this just make the carrots fork?

You kind assistance is most appreciated, grapes!

Have you got anything less potent in terms of Nitrogen? I think I would suggest a balanced fertiliser (e.g. 5:5:5) rather than high Nitrogen.

If you only have the chicken pellets, perhaps give the bed a lower dosage than recommended.

(bear in mind that chicken manure pellets are less instantly potent than fresh manure)
    Last edited by Cutecumber; 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I personally wouldn't add anything and rely on a foliar feed pep if required!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I wouldn't add anything either. But then, I'm like that!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Carrots should not require a Nitrogen boost, they will grow away quite happily after onions without any additions.

It's where I have put my late carrots also.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

I was going to put a late sowing of carrots and peas together - will the peas give the carrots too much nitrogen then? Or will they be ready early enough not to be affected?
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Well the theory is that the nitrogen will make the carrots put on too much foliage, but, let's be honest, as long as you get a root, who cares. To what extent it will delay or prevent root development, I don't know. It will probably depend upon how impoverished the soil is when you start.

I haven't tried growing them together myself, only carrots with spring onions. Needless to say the spring onions were s..l..o..w...

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                I haven't tried growing them together myself, only carrots with spring onions. Needless to say the spring onions were s..l..o..w...
                I did that thinking the smell of the 2 would deter the relevant flies - The Spring Onions may be OK by Winter!!! The carrots are great though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X