Mild onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mild onions

I've only ever grown shallots, not onions, as I have always found the latter to be too pungent.

Despite this, I'd like to try growing a few onions as it's a good challenge, and friends and family like them.

So, I wondered if anyone here has managed to grow really mild onions.

Spring onions, small ones, large ones... anything goes, it's just got to be really mild.

Is it all in the variety (they say that the large Spanish ones are the mildest, for example), or is strength of flavour determined by other factors? (I know that long slow cooking will reveal the sweetness, but I am not keen on slaving over a hot stove!!)

I'd be interested in your experiences.

Hello Cutecumber. My spring onions have been very good this year. White Lisbon was the best of the 3 varieties I grew. I did them by Nick and Piglets method (You can't go wrong there). I sowed the seeds thinly over 3 " pots and left them in the pots until they were quite well grown and I could see the roots at the bottom. Then knocked them gently out of the pots and planted the whole bunch together. They grew on great.
    I also grew some red onions from sets. Very mild and can be eaten raw in salads. I used the red onions while I was waiting for the spring onions to grow on.
    You might also want to try some shallots, milder than onions. I grew mine from sets and they were no problem at all. I got some very big ones which were good for roasting whole.
    See what other suggestions the Grapes have.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi.
      From what I gather, onions need alot of water during growing, but as they mature, water them less and the pungency increases. So, if you are growing onions to full size then keep watering them lots and they should be less pungent. [in theory].
      I have to say i grow onions all year round, and usually pull them long before they are fully mature; and many of mine are indeed mild, which is probably why i grow chillis as well...as I love hot food.
      I also agree White Lisbon is fab for mild onions, really white mild flesh. I leave them longer than they should be left for a nice fat bulb. I am trying loads of heirlooms now so who knows what will come out in the next few months, if i can leave them in the ground for long enough.

Comment

http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/restaurantslocalcu isine/ss/vidalia_onions.htm

Sweet and succulent Vidalia Onions begin to fill grocery store and farmers' market vegetable bins during late spring and stay in season throughout the summer. While there are some other sweet onion hybrids, the real deal, identifiable by the official Vidalia® Onion sticker is only grown in a 20-county area of Georgia, which is comprised of 13 full counties and seven partial counties.

The delicious mild, yet distinctive, flavor of Georgia's Vidalia Onions is attributed to the low sulfur content of the soil combined with the mild Georgia climate and stringent quality control measures. Only Georgia Department of Agriculture-approved varieties are planted, strict fertilization and disease prevention techniques are required and hand harvesting at the peak time promotes optimum taste. Post harvest proper curing and storage allows for longer shelf life.

Discovered in 1931 by Toombs County, Georgia farmer Mose Coleman, the Vidalia Onion 75th Anniversary was celebrated in 2006. In 1990, Georgia's state legislature passed a resolution declaring the Vidalia Onion as Georgia's official state vegetable. The spring harvest is celebrated with an annual Vidalia Onion Festival, which attracts anywhere from 60,000 to 75,000 onion loving festival goers each year
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I personally always grow a few large Kelsae onions because of there size and mildness. They don't keep very well though, so are always used soon after lifting!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Try Rouge de Florence, they can be pulled as Spring onions or left to grow on and even when they are big they are still mild. They have a red skin but white flesh.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

A friend at work has just given me a packet of Rouge de Florence which she got on her holiday to France.Could you please help with some questions I have as I DO NOT speak or able to read French.When do I sow the seeds,do they grow in bunches,do I harvest when leaves die off ,will I be able to save some shallots & grow as sets in the following year.Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comment

Thanks for all your ideas...

I have read that watering is key to flavour, so perhaps I should just try a couple and keep them moist!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X