French beans in containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French beans in containers

My climbing french beans have started to show. They're in a seed tray at the moment, and I'm not sure where to put them next (no beds to speak of). I've got a couple of long troughs, about 12" deep, and some growbags. Or I could get some big pots. I've also got canes for support.
    My organic gardening etc blog - http://thecornflake.blogspot.com

I've grown them before in a large (about 14" across) pot with a wigwam of canes in. They produced quite well considering there weren't many of them. You need to make sure your container won't topple over though.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My sons growing 3 runner beans in quite a small pot about 9'' , We ust never got round to re-potting. Stuck a wig wam on it. Its doing really well loads of flowers we spotted yesterday. He's a very proud litte chap.

Comment

I have a wigwam of them in a half barrel which seem to be doing quite well. Never grown them in pots before but they look nice and are now flowering so I have great hopes.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We usually start some climbing french beans very early, and pot them up in a large container, with a wigwam of canes, keeping them in the greenhouse. This way we have had very early crops, as the beans are self-fertile.

This year - zippo - well about six beans so far.

Despite the poor results this year, it is something I would recommend if you have the space in the greenhouse. We have had very good crops in previous years.

valmarg

Comment

You can grow them in any container you like Cornflake. Make a wigwam out of your canes. If you can, tie the structure to something as it does get very top heavy. Keep them well watered and fed and you should get loads of beans. Mine did great in a container last year. Growing in a raised bed this year so see how that goes - so far so good. And I'm trying dwarf runner beans in a container - no supports needed. Lovely red and white flowers and little beans forming. I'm hopeful for a good crop. will let everybody know how well that works.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I have some dwarf ones as well by the way.

I'm probably going to use a trough and a couple of pots and see what works better.
              My organic gardening etc blog - http://thecornflake.blogspot.com

Comment

I've got some climbing ones in a big pot and they are doing fine, haven't had any problems at all.

I also but 4 dwarfs into another pot - 1st one got munched by a slug and then another two got dug by a fox

Derek
                http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

Comment

Hi. I have two large pots with dwarf frenchies in, and they are doing very well. They have lots of purple flowers, but no beans yet (only a matter of time). I put them in a large pot so i can water them well, beans do like their water.
                  Dave
                  "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I'm growing mine in pots, they are dwarf variety though. the one pot I kept indoors is already producing beans but the ones outside have only just started flowering.
                    Dave is right about them needing lots of water, they are thirsty little plants lol.
                    Last edited by Salina; 16-07-2007, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X