Tomatoes and night time temperature

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes and night time temperature

According to our local weather forecast the night time temps this week could be as low as 6c.

My toms are being grown outdoors will they be ok or should I cover them.

What a wonderful summer we are having!!

Wouldn't do any harm to cover them, but think about your own microclimate. If they up against a wall or fence they'll be warmer. Out in the middle of an exposed allotment site would be more of a problem!

Comment

as low as 6c? Should that not read as high as?

Comment

I find covering tomatoes is a bit of a two-edged sword. Tomatoes will survive low temperatures at night as long as it is not frosty, but throwing fleece over them can increase the humidity significantly. The last time I covered outdoor tomatoes with fleece they developed blight straight afterwards. This could have been a coincidence, but it was enough to stop me from doing it again.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Following on from the above...it's to be around 7 degrees tonight. Will my toms be ok in the blowaway? They have been out for a couple of nights now.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by treepixie View Post
            What a wonderful summer we are having!!
            It's been better than last year!
            He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
              Following on from the above...it's to be around 7 degrees tonight. Will my toms be ok in the blowaway? They have been out for a couple of nights now.
              Mine have been out since the start of May with temps down to about 5C and it never bothered them at all.

When i first put them out i covered them with a sheet of newspaper overnight and removed it first thing in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                It's been better than last year!
                And it's only Spring really.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post

When i first put them out i covered them with a sheet of newspaper overnight and removed it first thing in the morning.
                  Clever tom plants, eh Scoot, a bit of light bedtime reading, perhaps ......
                  ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                  a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
                    Clever tom plants, eh Scoot, a bit of light bedtime reading, perhaps ......
                    One of them was a page 3 out the sun (it actually was). That might have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                      I have tomatoes in a hanging basket out side now Jay they have been uncovered overnight for the last five days and they are ok, no discoloured leaves and starting to form flowers, I will cover them if the forecast is to be 4c or below but if they were in a poly shelter I would just shut the door
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I've had some of mine out in the greenhouse for a while and they seem fine. Its been down as low as about 3 outside. Tomatoes will show you if they are cold - they turn a purplish colour and look sad, but even then they can recover as long as it isn't freezing. Its not ideal though.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

My outdoor plants are on my hardening-off table. I think I'll bring them in to the greenhouse the next 2 nights because it's supposed to be quite nippy.
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X