my onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my onions

Ok so they won't win any prizes for largest, prettiest etc but these are the best I've ever grown and from Wilkinsons Japanese overwintering sets, planted mid-november interestingly on a leaf day.

I got a bit excited when I lifted the membrane to find these beauties underneath and more besides.

I have to add that these sets cost 90p for 50. - Bargain!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Earthbabe; 28-06-2007, 09:23 PM.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

They look great EB, good enough to eat in fact.

Comment

And that truly inspires me to grow some Japanese overwintering onions again. I haven't for the last year or two, and I'm always desperately short of onions at this time of year!
      Thanks for the timely prompt!
      AND you should be very proud of those, rightly so!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
        Ok so they won't win any prizes for largest, prettiest etc but these are the best I've ever grown and from Wilkinsons Japanese overwintering sets, planted mid-november interestingly on a leaf day.

I got a bit excited when I lifted the membrane to find these beauties underneath and more besides.

I have to add that these sets cost 90p for 50. - Bargain!!!
        I had a good crop from my Japanese onions grown from sets bought off Loughborough market. Sizes varied though from a plum to a grapefruit. Cost? about £4 about 200 (bought by weight)I had both white & red varities.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

They look great EB.

I haven't managed to grow onions yet. If I plant overwinter sets this autumn, do I have to wait till now to use them or can I pick as required earlier when the ones in the shop are rubbish? (assuming they grow of course). Really trying to grow all the veggies we need this year.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Respect EB! Will have a go with some of these myself this year, inspired by your results.
            All at once I hear your voice
            And time just slips away
            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I nearly pulled all mine up in February, they looked such sickly things! Fed them with some chicken manure and they have since just done the business. I had to pick some as I needed the space, but they are drying nicely in the greenhouse. And the others are still bulking out nicely.

I'll certainly be doing them again.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Wow - they look great EB. Pulled up all my overwintered onions earlier this week - all but 2 had gone to seed which was such a shame. I'm still going to use them as i'd snapped the developing flower heads off, and i just need to remove the hard middle core - taste isn't affected at least!

Well done! perhaps i'll try again next year
                There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                  They look great EB.

I haven't managed to grow onions yet. If I plant overwinter sets this autumn, do I have to wait till now to use them or can I pick as required earlier when the ones in the shop are rubbish? (assuming they grow of course). Really trying to grow all the veggies we need this year.
                  use them when they get big enough the will keep growing leave plenty of room for hoeing like measure the hoe jacob
                  What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                  Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                    use them when they get big enough the will keep growing leave plenty of room for hoeing like measure the hoe jacob
                    Cheers Jacob - I don't have a hoe - I hand weed everything as I have lots of nettles and bindweed.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                      Cheers Jacob - I don't have a hoe - I hand weed everything as I have lots of nettles and bindweed.
                      If thats the case you can plant them closer than normal and thin them out as you use them and leave some to bulb up jacob
                      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Mine went through membrane, much easier to lift than the leeks but it has made a world of difference compared to last year's attempt at onions
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

Well done EB! Have just told OH (who works for wilkos!). I really must get round to digging mine out of the pots as well. Bernie
                          Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 29-06-2007, 08:25 PM.
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

With all this free advertising we should be getting our next lot free LOL!
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X