Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots

So, do you think it is time for me to sow some carrots in the Polytunnel, keeping in mind that I am in Cumbria.

Alan

I've never grown in a Polytunnel, but carrots really need a minimum temperature of 5C to germinate...warmer is preferable.
    Do you have some form of heating in there?
    What is your coldest night reading?

I imagine it's be a bit early for you unless you are in a sheltered position?

Here...I found this.....

Carrot min temp for germination 4C...preferable 7-30C

From...

Germination
    Last edited by Nicos; 11-02-2015, 12:18 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm further south than you but think it's too early. Will probably sow some in my tunnel in early March.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        think it's too early.
        I have some Amsterdam Forcing seed that says "Mid Jan", and Early Nantes 5 that says "February". My family always badger me to start some carrots early, but I never have done (idleness mostly!)

I really ought to start off a few containers as a trial. I'd be happy to stick them in the boiler room, until they germinate, and then shift them to the conservatory. Currently fluctuating 5-9C but probably will reliably be 10C+ by the time they have germinated ...

I wonder what the smallest (depth) container is that would be worth trying?
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Guess temperature relates to the soil, so here is the plan Ill cover the soil with fleece for a week, and then sow an early type.

I grow them in the polytunnel, as I don't like feeding the carrot root fly

Thanks for the replies

Alan

Comment

No not too early. I normally start this weekend. Make sure soil is warmed with polythene first sow the seed, carrot spinach and coriander replace the polythene and keep checking for germimation or alternatively sow late on in season and overwinter for really early crops.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X