Keeping leeks for planting later

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping leeks for planting later

Sorry if this is covered somewhere but I am in a panic and don't have time to trawl through all the threads that cover leeks!

I asked the nice lady at the dairy where they sell plants if she had any leek plants for sale. She popped out to the back door and brought me a huge clump of Longbow. They are still quite spindly - nowhere near pencil thickness and there must be hundreds of them!! No charge!!

Problem is, what do I do with them now until I have a bit of earth ready for them to be planted into. I was looking for a dozen or so plants so I now have to get more space sorted out - lucky me!

Will they survive if I put them in a bucket and should I put them in compost or earth?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

That's what I'd do shirl and I should think they'd be ok. I've currently got some seedlings in earth and some in compost so either would probably be ok.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks for that Earthbabe. Really quite hot here at the mo and I had visions of my free winter veggies expiring in a paper bag!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Just open up a bit of earth with a spade drop them in and water them and they be ready when you are later dont forget to cover the roots with soiljacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Further to the above - I just cleared a space to plant out the leeks. Have taken the ones I was given out of their bucket and they all have bulbs at the bottom - about the size of silverskin onions also they have loads of roots. The Musselburgh that I planted finally caught up with the others and when I took them out of the bucket (identical care and conditions) they look just like mini leeks. Wonder what my freebies actually were now! Might get brave and have a munch later to see.
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I always find leeks are most forgiving and you can bung them in anywhere in their clumps until you have space for them. Good luck Shirley - great to get a freebie!
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks Jennie. I will probably end up with some still in a bucket at the end of today's struggles anyway!! They are not pencil size yet anyway so will just have to take their chances. I never got any further with my clearing of the bramble patch this year despite a promising start. The leeks are now going in the space vacated by the carrots and kohl rabi which appeared then disappeared! At least leeks don't get munched by flea beetle and slugs!
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

what's a leek? Mine are hopeless this year. Small, thin and full of leek moth already. Bah humbug
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't tell me there is a specific bug for my leeks thought they might be my one success this year outdoors!
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

My leeks got eaten last year - thought it was slugs and snails, but it could have been leek moth - apparently the damage looks the same. Only just planted my leeks last weekend so am hoping the beasties stay away and the weather stays kind

Comment

Ah - moths, that would explain why I can't find the slugs & snails which have nearly destroyed my early leek crop, which was doing so well : (
                      Think I've got greenfly as well, unless they're part of the moth infestation.
                      http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                      http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

I cut off the affected part (full of maggots, squashed em) and the leeks will regrow. Also, you can double-crop leeks (see earlier thread) ... when you harvest, don't pull them up, just cut off about an inch below the soil. Leek will regrow, as if by magic.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X