Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fruitflies are driving me nuts, but not for long!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruitflies are driving me nuts, but not for long!

Yes, they are driving me nuts.
    I am losing all cucurbits.

This Tanja cucumber is stung on top and at the bottom. I am saving this one for seed now.

My pumpkins are also all killed.

My sweet little dumpling squash, the first year that I successfully manage to keep the female flowers (due to raised bed method and calcium adding), I am lodsing all due to this little fly.

BUT HOPEFULLY NOT FOR LONG!

Now I cover them in little nets to keep the fly away.I cover from early and pollinate by hand. I have also spattered poisoned bait on the leaves. No more Mr. Nice guy. Now I play dirty. I have even managed to get a hormone to bait these buggers.
    Regards

Johan

SUCCESS!

A few days later and the first ones are swelling. The fruit flies cannot reach them any more. The Pumpkin also started to grow.
    Regards

Johan

Comment

Well done Johan. Glad it's working.
      My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

It is working so well that I bought better materieal and a new sewing machine (due anyway) to make more. These blossom bags work!
        Regards

Johan

Comment

Have you tried a garlic spray?
          Make garlic tea then let it go cold.
          Sorted out my compost flies and aphids in one application.

Lesson learned however. Don't do this on indoor plants. It sticks the house out. I know!
          P

Comment

Fruit flies don't kill cucumbers.

The rotten courgette is probably caused by either cold and/or non-pollination: it's a common problem in early spring but happens less as warmth, day length & insects increases.

Fruit flies feed & breed on, as the name suggests, rotting fruit.

Fungus gnats breed in soggy compost, and are a common pest indoors & under glass, if the compost is too wet
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Fruit flies don't kill cucumbers.

The rotten courgette is probably caused by either cold and/or non-pollination: it's a common problem in early spring but happens less as warmth, day length & insects increases.

Fruit flies feed & breed on, as the name suggests, rotting fruit.

Fungus gnats breed in soggy compost, and are a common pest indoors & under glass, if the compost is too wet
              The fruit flies Johan is talking about are not the same as our UK ones. He is in South Africa

Comment

Oh, South African ones. They eat people
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The Fruitfly I am referring to is also called pumpkin fly. The do not eat rotten fuit. They are almost the size of a house fly and sting the fruit or blossom and lay several eggs, that hatch to form several small worms, eating the fruit from the inside.
                  Regards

Johan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X