Growing raspberries in clay soil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing raspberries in clay soil

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and could do with some advice.

I'm going to try growing some raspberries next year, which I have never tried before. The patch I have set aside for this turns out to consist of clay soil, which I have also never tried to grow plants in before (we've only recently moved to this area). I've done a bit of reading around the subject and overall, it appears that raspberries shouldn't do too badly in this type of soil if I try to improve it somewhat.

While digging out the weeds and plants in the soon-to-be raspberry patch, I have had to remove the top 4 or 5 inches of clay soil as the roots of the plants had completely knitted it together. Since I'm going to have to fill it up with something, I was wondering whether you had any advice as to what to fill it with to improve the clay soil. I was thinking of digging soil improver into the clay to improve drainage, which is quite poor, and then filling the 4 inch hole that will be left with a mix of topsoil and compost. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by catgirl; 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM.

I am no expert but I have very heavy clay soil and only mixed in a small amount of general purpose compost and the loganberries and tayberries I planted this year have grown massively out of control. I planted 4 raspberry canes from wilkos of which only 1 grew (I suspect the rest were dead when planted) which is not big but fruited like mad.

Comment

Nowadays I favour no soil amendment because it can make things worse unless done over a very large area.

If you dig a hole in clay, it's going to fill with water if you put anything more porous than clay into the hole. You may then end up with roots drowning and rotting in the underground stagnant pond you've created.

But consider planting on mounds or in raised beds. Or just plant into the clay if it doesn't suffer waterlogging.
      Last edited by FB.; 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I grow raspberries in ironstone soil and they seem to love it, which amazes me. I have had a bumper crop this year too. After the fruit has all gone, I cut back the bushes, but not too short, then at the end of spring I cut them a further 6 inches, by doing this it protects the plants from the hard frost destroying the tender new stems, and encourages the new growth to start growing end of spring time onwards. Cut any old woody stems off at grown level. Good luck next year with them.

Comment

What is ironstone soil Marrigold, and whereabouts are you?

Comment

I grow rasps in clay soil, with no improvement, and no tying into anything, and they are fine. They were flooded last winter for about 4 weeks over the festive season [as much of our allotments were] and I still got a fine return this year. Clay is an excellent soil to put fruit into as it holds nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by catgirl View Post

While digging out the weeds and plants in the soon-to-be raspberry patch, I have had to remove the top 4 or 5 inches of clay soil as the roots of the plants had completely knitted it together.
              So what did you do with the soil?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                So what did you do with the soil?
                Threw it out! Some sort of grassy plant had been growing there and there was no way those roots were going to separate from the soil around them, they were just big blocks of soil-and-plant. So something has to be put back in to level the patch back up again.

Comment

Thanks for your replies so far everyone!

Comment

The only thing I would point out is that when planting is to note that the roots will travel about 1foot or more before emerging sometimes in the middle of another plant. I started with a home made bottomless box 36"x12"x18". Uprights at each end and a top piece with holes drilled to take canes. Size of uprights 60" uprights and top piece 3"Xhalfinch. Placing it on slabs not to be moved.2parts soil one part growbag 1 handful of the following bone meal and growmore. This enabled me to make sure that any new shoots were under control. I also have clay soil I have manage to improve this by use ash from coal fires alternative ash from a bonfie also helps. Bonfire night is almost upon us dig a large hole build your fire in it so you only have to cover it over when burnt out .

Comment

I have heavy clay soil and I planted raspberries in two spots, in one they all died due to waterlogging, the other area doesn't get water logged and the raspberries are in there third year.

Comment

When you say clay do you mean real proper clay or a heavy soil?
                        I used to live in Wilts and the gaden there was clay, you could throw a pot with it, when you put a fork in to turn it over the 4 prongs made 4 groves in it, the material didn't come up as a lump.

Problem with raspberries is they like some moisture and a clay will dry out and split.

If water does not lie on the surface then I would take your bed and as you originally say improve it, at least a bit.

Myself I would go get a couple of bags of inexpensive compost and a bag of manure. Say this as places often do 3 bags for £10 or £12. If the anticipated bed is bigger then find one that does 5 bags for £15 or £16 and get 3 bags of compost and 2 of manure.

One bit of information get Autumn fruiting raspberry's, the yield is a bit lower but they are easier to prune = Grow, fruit chop.

Comment

Threw it out! Some sort of grassy plant had been growing there and there was no way those roots were going to separate from the soil around them, they were just big blocks of soil-and-plant. So something has to be put back in to level the patch back up again.
                          Yes, but where did you throw it? If you have just stacked it somewhere the roots of the grass will die and you can re-use the soil.

Comment

Thanks again everyone.

Rustylady - the soil may or may not have ended up being thrown over the garden fence, which borders onto a massive park... It's a fairly small garden so don't have the space to let it dry out. But thanks anyway for the advice!

Comment

Thanks again everyone.

Rustylady - the soil may or may not have ended up being thrown over the garden fence, which borders onto a massive park... It's a fairly small garden so don't have the space to let it dry out. But thanks anyway for the advice!
                              ???

Surely you would have composted it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X