Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall are your raspberries?

I have these two that have just gone mad this year
    The pic is not great, and they've grown a bit since.
    Measured it at 8' 7" tall

Mines about the same, I cut the old canes right down but left the new one and since I cut the others it's gone mad - the side shoots are coming to 3 feet too - do you cut off your side shoots?

Comment

7-8ft in one season is normal for mine.

Comment

My single surviving raspberry (1 of 4 from wilkinsons the rest just never grew) is barely 3 foot but fruiting like mad while my loganberry and tayberry are well over 2m on several stems.

Comment

Not measured mine but probably between 7-8 foot.

Comment

Probably a summer fruiting variety, they seem to be longer then the autumn ones. Don't think 8ft+ is overly unusual for a number of varieties.

Comment

Interestingly, to illustrate the vigour: I usually find a few seedling raspberry or seedling blackberry plants each year which needed no help establishing themselves, but not usually any seedling fruit trees (apples, pears) despite me scattering lots of pips around and trying hard to get some to establish.

Comment

Well at least I don't have a mutant. lol
                These were transplanted a couple years ago from my grandparents. Didn't do much last year but this year.well..

Comment

Mine are in pots, and are autumn-fruiting, so they only grew to about 3 1/2 feet. Plenty of fruit on them now though.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                    Interestingly, to illustrate the vigour: I usually find a few seedling raspberry or seedling blackberry plants each year which needed no help establishing themselves, but not usually any seedling fruit trees (apples, pears) despite me scattering lots of pips around and trying hard to get some to establish.
                    I chuck all my apple cores on the garden for the blackbirds to peck at, and pull up probably 6 or 7 two to three inch high apple seedlings every year. But they could be from this year's cores, last years, or whenever, I have no way of telling.

My autumn raspberries are a modest five feet
                    Last edited by mothhawk; 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlB924 View Post
                      Mine are in pots, and are autumn-fruiting, so they only grew to about 3 1/2 feet. Plenty of fruit on them now though.
                      Raspberries have huge roots (well, mine do!). When grown in a pot there will be less room for roots to grow, so the plant will be restricted in how big it can get.

Comment

Raspberries have huge roots (well, mine do!). When grown in a pot there will be less room for roots to grow, so the plant will be restricted in how big it can get.
                        Yep, but pot growing was a necessity due to the tiny size of the garden. I'm just about to get an allotment though, so I'll be moving most of the canes (and my other fruit) out there this winter

Comment

Depends on the cultivar. I have 10 different varieties. Tulameen and Himbotop are the tallest by far (>8 feet), other varieties have a more moderest growth and are only 5-6 feet high (Autumn Bliss, Pokusa, Glenn Doll)

Comment

7-8ft in one season is normal for mine.
                            same here..,i put some roots (15) in a big bin,to save them for a friend sorting out his new allotment,i put some of last years compost heap under them,and they have grown 3ft and cropped for a long time,they finished about a week before he came to pick them up,now theres timing.....
                            Last edited by BUFFS; 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simon12 View Post
                              My single surviving raspberry ... is barely 3 foot .
                              I have a very windswept plot, so nothing gets taller than 3ft, usually.

This year though, the raspberries are nearly as tall as me (5ft) because they had 6 months of rain last summer/autumn
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X