Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germination Frustration (Basil + Others)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germination Frustration (Basil + Others)

I don't like to complain about summer weather, but.... it is making life difficult for germinating seeds. I guess I must be doing something wrong - otherwise the Italians would not be chowing down on Pasta alla Genovese all summer.

The seed is good. I just have not managed any germination in the last few weeks following my standard practice.

MPC in a pot, water it, sprinkle of seeds on top, fine sprinkle of mpc, pot in a bag to retain moisture. Due to the intense sun, I have kept them in a tray in a more shaded area (not in GH due to stupid heat).

Perhaps I should chuck em in the ground instead, or bring em in doors to the 25 deg heat!

I know this won't be a problem for much longer....

Sorry to go on.
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

So any chance they are not getting up to the optimum germination temperature, which is usually sited as 21C (Range about 18 - 25) or that the fluctuation in temperature is too great?
    Last edited by marchogaeth; 22-07-2013, 05:07 PM.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I have struggled for years to germinate basil. This year I did my normal thing (sow it and forget it) and wowsers: I have 4 basil plants, 6" high & bushy as you like, now just going into flower (because I didn't use it ~ I don't like it)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks.

We use a lot of basil and I grow a lot of basil without issue (until the last 2 weeks) - we've been using lots this year. Perhaps it is the large fluctuation in temps as marchogaeth suggests. Might revert to doing them on the windowsill.

Coriander has also been affected in the same way.
        While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I have struggled for years to germinate basil. This year I did my normal thing (sow it and forget it) and wowsers: I have 4 basil plants, 6" high & bushy as you like, now just going into flower (because I didn't use it ~ I don't like it)
          Actually, this is quite a relief, I thought it was just me who was rubbish with the stuff. I follow all the rules and it either doesn't germinate at all or germinates and then gets sick and dies (but not damping off). I don't really have any problems with anything else in as much as, if it doesn't germinate I can usually explain what stupid thing I did to it!

So D what do you normally do that works?
          Last edited by marchogaeth; 22-07-2013, 07:10 PM.
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

MPC in a pot, water it, sprinkle of seeds on top, fine sprinkle of mpc, put the pot in a bag (clear, cheap wilko value food bag) to retain moisture. Early in the season I germinate on the windowsill, later when it is warmer I put them outside.

Normally after 2-3 days they are poking through and when they are large enough they just get watered from underneath as needed.

Think I'll try back to indoors for more consistent temps.
            Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 22-07-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
              either doesn't germinate at all or germinates and then gets sick and dies (but not damping off).
              Yep, that's what usually happens to mine

Originally posted by daviddevantnhisspiritwife View Post
              I'll try back to indoors for more consistent temps.
              My gh has been warmer than usual this month, I think that's what's made them succeed for me this year: consistently high temps, esp at night, & sunshine (not at night, obvs)
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-07-2013, 07:08 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i succeeded with putting my basil seeds,once sown,on the lower shelf of my homemade staging,about 18ins off the floor and out of direct sunlight,the ones on the normal top shelf came to nothing, but about 75-80% showing in the lower tray,garlic ready,toms nearly ready, peppers and onions,and chillies nearly there, just waiting for the basil to get a bit bigger,OH will make up the pasta sauces and freeze them down,puts the shop bought ones to shame,she does it very well...

Comment

same here no basil this year sowen 3 times and nothing last year no probs lots of basil

Comment

Well Lidl does nice cheap pots of herbs which split quite successfully and you can pretend you grew them yourself if you get desperate. Not that I'd personally dream of doing such a thing of course, and my chives were all lovingly sown and nurtured by me. Not
                    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I've tried Basil for the first time this year. Germination was good, but once I pinched them out and repotted the plants grew to about 5cm high and have stopped. There has barely been any growth in weeks.

Parsley has been the same. Odd.
                      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I've just bought a pot of basil and one of Greek basil and I'm going to try to take cuttings from them - in water. I have no luck with basil - I can germinate the seeds OK but they either dampen off or fail to thrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
                          I've tried Basil for the first time this year. Germination was good, but once I pinched them out and repotted the plants grew to about 5cm high and have stopped. There has barely been any growth in weeks.

Parsley has been the same. Odd.
                          Parsley likes it cool and shady. It also produces an extremely long tap root so is better in the ground than in pots.

Comment

I sowed purple basil this year because it looked pretty on the packet, and also green - I got dozens of purple and only one green. Might be worth trying different varieties next time?

RL - just to confuse things completely, I only managed to grow one parsley plant - in a 12" raised bed in my polytunnel, which is south facing and has reached up to 49 deg at times - and the parsley is huge. It got so big it's taller than me, and I couldn't get past it in the end and had to cut it right back, and it's covered everything for miles around with sticky yellow pollen or seeds or something. Cool and shady it is NOT! It's no wonder we struggle is it??
                            sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

my parsley is growing in a 50 cm pot along with 6 elephant garlic cloves I had knocking about and is on the patio in full sun .Its now 18 inches high and crowding out the garlic,probably doesn't get enough water either!
                              don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                              remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X