Beetroot and Spring Onion

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot and Spring Onion

Hello folks, I'm trying Spring onion and Beetroot again this year, last years was a disaster, shoots came up but everything died off, but this year, the beetroot leaves appear to be growing fine, and the Spring Onions seem to be fine as well, I've grown them all from seed, what would be the best tips for the Beetroot to grow and swell, and should I thin out my Spring onions, I've got good green shoots but all growing together in bunches, there's about a dozen bunches all growing, with at least half a dozen shoots per bunch, should I just leave the Spring Onions, or thin them, and should I just keep watering the Beetroot with the odd feed thrown in.
    Any and all advice is always appreciated, thanks.

First of all have you followed the instructions on the seed packets? Without knowing what spacing your plants are it's difficult to know if they need thinning or not. Spring onions are quite happy growing in bunches as they tend to just push each other apart. Are they in the ground or it containers?

A picture would help.

Comment

Why did they grow in bunches?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The packets the seeds came in where just plain white packets that I was given so I don't know what varieties I've got.
        The Spring Onions are growing in the garden, they grew in bunches because I started them in small seeding pots, and when they got to be grass like, I planted them in the garden, and I wasn't sure whether to thin them or not, the Beetroot is about two to three inches apart in the garden, they were also started in seed pots, but again, variety is unknown as it was also in a white packet.
        Last edited by Tattie-muncher; 23-07-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Leave the spring onions in bunches - they'll be fine. Your beetroot seem a bit close together, but you can use alternate ones when they're small and leave the others to grow on.

Comment

your spring onions are fine,the beetroot will grow okay if you have a groups of 2 or 3 or 4,with a space around them they will just spread outwards,but they will need some room between clumps,its worked for me, and i was put onto this by an older neighbour donkeys years ago,and he always seemed to have bumper crops..

Comment

If you thin out the beetroot, don't throw away the thinnings. They're very tough and will happily go back into the ground nearby to grow on.
              Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I grow both in bunches - they never show any real problems.

As Jono said - I re-plant beetroot they look a littel droopy for a few days but soon catch on and carry on growing.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, they are very much appreciated

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X