Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red / Black Currants. Growing issues.

Odd one that is puzzling me.

Some years back I bought a Red and Black Currant from the £ shop, Last of the big spenders eh.

Planted in a raised bed approx 6ft apart. Black Currant grew and grew, Plenty of fruit over the years. But even after 5 years the Red Currant was a mere twig with a few leaves each year.

Down on my allotment it's the other way around. Bought 3 Red and 3 Black Currants for the allotment. Planted 6 - 8 feet apart with one of each. Red Currants have some fruit this year but the Black Currants are struggling.

Anyone have any idea's ?

Thanks.

I'm sure I've already answered this one, on a different thread?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Not all varieties grow at the same rate and not all varieties will prefer the same soil.

Having said that: getting anything to grow in my area is difficult, yet currants of all kinds seem to do very well despite the usually-dry summers we get here - and will easily outgrow even a Bramley apple tree on a full-size rootstock (Bramley is one of the biggest of all apple trees).

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        I'm sure I've already answered this one, on a different thread?
        I mentioned it in my introduction post. But said i was posting here. You replied in there.

Yours took 3 /4 years. In that time my Black Currants were cropping very well.

But the Red Currant was still the same height and just a small handful of leaves. It just never grew any bigger or had any fruit.

When i pulled it, The roots were pathetic also.

Keep the advice or tips coming.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X