Alpine strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine strawberries

I have some Alpine strawberries in pots on my balcony, this is the first yer, they have produced a lot of leaf, but only a few flowers?

I have fed them once so far.

Advice please ?
    DottyR

Too much nitrogen feed will cause leafy growth at the expense of fruit. The ideal is well-rotted compost which has fairly low nitrogen but is packed full of other nutrients. Alternatively, use a high-potassium feed.
    In fairness to the alpines, they only usually begin to flower about now, when the maincrop strawberries are ripening - my alpines have been flowering recently.
    Alpines produce most of their fruit in July-September, with each plant producing a few fruits most days for months, rather than a single plant producing two bowls full of fruit in about one week as is the case for maincrop strawberries.

Comment

Sounds like I'm just being a bit impatient! Each plant does have some white flowers, I thought maybe that was it!

Thank you, hoping for some sun to ripen them now.
      DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
        Sounds like I'm just being a bit impatient! Each plant does have some white flowers, I thought maybe that was it!

Thank you, hoping for some sun to ripen them now.
        Alpines will grow and fruit quite well even with only several hours of sun per week and quite cool weather, unlike the maincrop strawberries which need lots of direct sun and warmth.

Alpines are ideal fruit plants for damp, shady places where most other fruit won't crop well due to being cool and dull. Also good for planting around the base of medium-stemmed fruit bushes.

Comment

i have had alpine strawbs for about 6 years now,in an area of poor soil,the first fruit of the year appeared this week,never fed,they (30 plants) will produce now until the frosts in oct/nov,about one and a half large yoghurt potfull each week,and they have more flavour than the bigger fruit..good luck with them,when everyone else are paying thru the nose for the tasteless ones, you will be enjoying the good stuff..

Comment

I have some of these alpine/ wild strawberries growing on the wall. They do very well there and the wall seems too high for most slugs, so just the birds I have to watch out for now as they do love them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X