Sulky asparagus?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulky asparagus?

from a quick search, I might have found the answer - but would appreciate Grape advice!

I planted 10 crowns just over a year ago. Year 1: 10 perfect spears (1 per plant), which I allowed to turn to fern and chopped to ground level when had gone brownish. Year 2: 7 spears, 2 or 3 good ones and the rest completely skinny (think drinking straw size!) and even the good ones are looking all brown and woody and orrible at the bottom.

they have been reasonably fed and watered (given we had a hosepipe ban last year), perennial weeds are removed whenever I spot them. the soil is quite stony, but our predecessor in this house had loads in a bed a couple of feet away, which is now completely shaded. so I planted new crowns last year. they are in 2 rows of 3, 12-15" apart all ways, and then in another bed, 2 rows of 2, same spacing.

could it be asparagus beetle, or am I doing something wrong? and if pests, what do I do now?
    thanks!

How deeply are they planted? I'm no expert, but understand that Asparagus does best with fairly shallow planting, so if you are mulching or anything like that it might make a difference... I'm sure some other grapes will be along soon with more advice so hope you get sorted soon
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I've planted six crowns and so far only 2 have come up. I think I planted them too late, too dry and too deep. However, the crowns were on sale and a bit manky looking so I didn't expect too much!
      You are a child of the universe,
      no less than the trees and the stars;
      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

If it is slugs and beetle- pellets and derris. (I trust that you are not picking). The 'sprues' (thin stuff) is a sign of weakness but all beds get them- when harvestring you cut them too but just let them be.

Yes muckdiver, you do start shallow 2-3"... then deeper 8" following year

I would only order my crowns from a supplier and not the packets in garden centre. Then soak before planting.

That said, yesterday I picked a couple of spears from a neglected 'connovers colossal' at home: it came from gerden centre has had a load of earth dumped on bed and is behind a greenhouse by a privet hedge now. They were the thickest and tastiest spears of the year so far!! better than the posh dutch hybrids i have spent four or five years lavishing love and manure on at the lottie!! funny old world

Comment

got mine from Dobies I think, picked nothing last year or this. went and looked at them today, and I have 2 fat healthy ones (up for weeks and now turning to fern) and the rest are skinnymalinks, so do I think could be the beetle.
          they are planted pretty shallow (too lazy to do it deep!!), and soil is quite stony.
          what is derris? and if I apply it now is it a once-off, or do I keep doing it?
          slugs quite few and far between so far this year, too dry I think. tho a couple of nights rain is changing things - but asparagus has been up at least 3-4 weeks now...

Comment

It helps if you put a rough location in your personal profile.

Rain could change your luck as well they may come on up now. deformed spears could be beetle -you'll see eggs stuck to stalk.

Derris is made from pyracantha and is a natural insectacide. you should be careful of bees- use on still evenings as late as poss.

Comment

will look for eggs later....

Comment

I got some asparagus from the seed company our allotment group uses. I planted them as per the instructions in a foot deep trench on a little mound of earth. I added more earth as some of them grew (4) and there are now 4 fern like thingies growing up. I don't get why the others haven't grown though. It's hard not to fill some bits of the trench when I've had to add soil for the other bits.... Does anyone know if the ones that are now covered by about 8-9 inches of soil will ever grow or have I killed them by burying them too deep.

Comment

It is a possibility I'm afraid Nicky. Two or three inches deep enough till end of the first season.

Comment

Hmmmmm, I might go an take some of the soil back out then just in case.
                    Thing is some of tham are about 8-10 inches tall above the back fill of the trench. Confusing.

Comment

think it might be the beetle for me, little tiny white dots on the stems, and they also look a bit deformed.
                      I could also have put mine too deep. ate some beautiful asparagus yesterday from a farm shop... maybe I'll just reclaim those particular beds for something easier to grow the year after next!! (give them the benefit of the doubt this year and next anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by beach chick View Post
                        think it might be the beetle for me, little tiny white dots on the stems, and they also look a bit deformed.
                        I could also have put mine too deep. ate some beautiful asparagus yesterday from a farm shop... maybe I'll just reclaim those particular beds for something easier to grow the year after next!! (give them the benefit of the doubt this year and next anyway).
                        Beetle eggs look like short black hairs on stem. I think there is every chance most of you crowns will be ok they just need to gather strength. A few of mine I thought were dead have suddenly thrown up spears 8 weeks after the others. Don't give up it is such a worthwhile crop one your up an running. The thing is to try and stop the grubs stripping the ferns so your crowns will gather energy to throw up big fat juicy spears for your first harvest next year. I'm sure one you taste them the pain and wait will be just a memory.... bit like childbirth!?...easy for a bloke to say!
                        Last edited by Paulottie; 15-05-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky View Post
                          Hmmmmm, I might go an take some of the soil back out then just in case.
                          Thing is some of tham are about 8-10 inches tall above the back fill of the trench. Confusing.
                          If you only just planted them it will take a while and I should be patient. They may still be up yet. I'm not sure how you were thinking of removing the now wet soil but you might end up damaging emerging spears. watch and hope. if there are any gaps by end of the summer mark them with a cane and replace the crowns next spring.

Comment

thanks paulottie, will stick with it for a year or so!!

Comment

Just added a bit sorry!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X