Rhubarb question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb question

I have 3 clumps of rhubarb in the garden planted by the previous owners, so I have no idea what varieties they are or what to do with them.

one is growing well and i can clearly see the growth ( about two inches), one is not as advanced but is starting to grow and the third hasn't really started yet. We are expecting a cold spell, do I need to protect the. Ones which are growing or will they be fine if I just leave them?
    Well behaved women - seldom make history

Rhubarb is very hardy, so no need to protect them at all.

Comment

What you might want to do is to force one or two so that you get long sweet stems nice and early.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Is forcing, just as simple as covering it with a large pot?
        Well behaved women - seldom make history

Comment

Basically, yes. The idea is to exclude light so the stems grow long and tender.

Comment

Yep i just use an old plastic dustbin with a big brick on top to stop the wind blowing it over, put a bit of staw inside and leave it to grow.....
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I'd recommend mulching with some muck to I think.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                I'd recommend mulching with some muck to I think.
                i prefer mulching with some custard,or maybe ice cream and some crumble,and still have over 15 ice cream tubs of baked rhubarb in the big freezer in the wash-house,this is making me hungry for the above,so bye for now....
                Last edited by BUFFS; 16-01-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X