Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks and french beans

HI
    Could anyone tell me wether I could plant my leeks with my sweetcorn and also can I grow dwarf french beans in grow bags?

Thankyou for your help
    Lisa

Hi Lisa and welcome to the Vine!
    I'm not sure about the leeks, but there is something called "three sisters bed" which I am going to be trying for the first time this year.
    When you have planted your sweet corn, wait a couple of weeks for it to grow and then plant a bean seed next to it. As the bean grows it uses the sweetcorn as support. Then when they are both growing, plant a squash seed at the base. The squash benefits from the shade of the other two and they all benefit from the nitrogen the bean puts into the soil. The squash as it grows suppresses the weeds underneath and retains water.
    That the idea anyway!
    Bernie aka Dexterdog
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Dwarf french beans will be fine in growbags, or large pots. Just make sure they are evenly watered, neither too dry nor too wet. You could probably plant leeks between rows or blocks of sweetcorn, but I've never tried it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X