Blueberries in a raised bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries in a raised bed

I'm thinking of filling a new raised bed with ericaceous compost so that I can grow a few blueberry bushes. Has anyone else tried this? Is there any reason why it wouldn't work? Am I likely to have difficulty in maintaining the acidity?

Any advice would be very welcome.

I cant see any problem with that, just play safe a dig a nice deep hole. Mulching with pine chippings or spent coffee will help maintain the acidity.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

You may have a problem with humidity though. They are bog plants so like a sad and boggy place.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I read up on this and was recommended a sunken bed rather than a raised bed. Basically a large hole lined with plastic with a few slashes in the bottom for drainage. Should keep it nice and boggy too. And mix suitable soil with the compost (cant remember the type of special soil but apparently can be got at the garden centre).
        Another thing was to sink pots in the ground, clay pots if possible as they can wick moisture from the surrounding soil. Helps with the watering.

Comment

Many thanks to all of you. It looks as though I've got some digging in store if I'm to do this properly.
          I have a rather wet spot at the end of my allotment where I intend to put the bed so that should work fine. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X